Paph William Ambler

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willamblera

Reaction score
I can't contain my excitement :rollhappy: This is my first multifloral paph to flower for me. It seems that it will only have 2 flowers but this is its first flowering. Honestly shocked that it's doing so darn well. This was purchased from Cloud's last fall. Good return on that investment.
V1c_2o7LUM5_kVHv3dNukUH5AhgeygHSoLwiwZh89Fc

Hummmm... how sure are you about the W. Ambler ID? It looks too much like Susan Booth to me.

Most William Amblers I've seen look something like mine. That's no guaranty but still.

You maybe able to upload your picture(s) directly if Picasa has links. You will need a link that begins with

Nice. I agree with Rick. It seems to be a Susan Booth. Nice just the same. You should be excited. I'll bet you won't stop at one. I certainly didn't.

Lovely flower, now that you have flowered your first multi, the true addiction has started! (just change the plant label and they will all be happy)

SlipperKing, I do agree that your William Ambler looks darker on the dorsal and lateral sepals. Carper's Susan Booth in a recent posting, looks like what I have, so I'm a believer. Could paph flowers be much lighter due to the flowers forming in bright light? That one gets late morning and then late afternoon sun. Didn't move it at all when the flowers started opening since I didn't want to rob the plant of energy for more flowers.
There is no direct link in Picasa so I just opened up a photobucket account and I see the direct link. So again, with a direct link, I present, Susan Ambler.
Oh, and thanks for the comments, everyone :)
P1010290_zps1888d841.jpg

William,
An excellent example of Paph wilhelminae is posted by Janna here http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26336&highlight=wilhelminae This of course is one of the parents of William Ambler. You can see where all the dark colors come from. This is not to say there isn't lighter colored wilhelminaes. Matted to a less colorful roth, you could end up with a lightly colored William Ambler. I think there would be a general consensus amount STers, professional breeders would not make that kind of a cross.
On the other side, there are a wide array of colored forms of praestans, one of the parents of Susan Booth. I have several clones of praestans, a darker one, http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28328&highlight=praestans and a lighter or yellow form,
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20063&highlight=praestans There maybe a praestans out there somewhere that can compare with a wilhelminae in color but I haven't seen one but say there is one. It would have to be bred to a good roth to make Susan Booth. Resulting in a very dark Susan Booth where it could be confused with a William Ambler. Not likely to happen.

Latest posts

Back