Paph William Ambler x PEOY

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
First flowering seedling. It has generally turned out the way I would hope. Dark and relatively long petals (20 cm). It actually had four buds but the plant wasn't strong enough to sustain it so I cut them off. Given the size and strength of the plant I'm amazed it could produce 4 buds which is a good sign for the future. I expect the individual flowers will be significantly better on a stronger plant.

I put the pollen of this plant onto my William Ambler. There will be a hell of a lot of variation from such a cross. But given there is so much roth (50%) and wilhelminiae (37.5%) on both sides with a bit of sanderianum (12.5%) thrown in, I'm hoping a few of them will look and be the size of a roth but chocolate brown in colour. Fingers crossed.

William Ambler 'Shin Yi' X PEOY 'Shin Yi'

Colour is fabulous! heaps of potential, David.

I think so too. I'm pretty excited by it. If it can produce 4 huge flowers on a very small and weak plant, I can't wait to see what it produces when the plant is strong.

Terrific flowers! I must seek one of these out! What is the name of the cross?
Did you get it directly from Shin-Yi?

I don't know the name of the cross. Not even sure it has been named. I got it off the person who imported it in from Shin-Yi as a FS seedling. I got it in April 2012. The quarantine process greatly weakens them and it takes a while for them to re-establish.

You would get a fair amount of variation with this complex hybrid so don't expect them all to turn out like this one. A lot will be much more roth dominated with shorter petals and some won't be so dark. It is a bit of a lucky dip. I got lucky.

hope the cross takes

I pollinated two flowers so I have doubled my chances. If I get good germination I'm happy to share them with any Australians who are interested. It could be a neat cross for those who love big dark flowers.

I love it when you read my mind (via the internet)...........Im in for some flasks for sure, please!! I share your optimism.

No worries Stephen. The roth x William Ambler cross I did a couple of weeks ago looks pretty good. The flower quickly shriveled up after pollination but the flower was still sticking solid to the pod which I think is all a good sign. Time will tell.

Very nice flowers, dark and stately.
This might be nice crossed onto a Lady Isabel or similar, to broaden the dorsal and lift the shoulders.

Very nice flowers, dark and stately.
This might be nice crossed onto a Lady Isabel or similar, to broaden the dorsal and lift the shoulders.

Unfortunately the Lady Isabel didn't flower this year. Should flower next season. But then this WA x PEOY probably won't flower for another 3 years I suspect. Timing is everything. In anycase, I'm more interested in dark flowers.

Yes, the sanderianum has increased the petal length nicely but at the expense of dorsal width and broad shoulders. I have crossed this plant with William Ambler. Given the amount of rothschildianum contained in the seedlings from both sides, I would expect many of the seedlings to be roth dominated with wider dorsals and more outright petals. Hopefully they will be the colour of the wilhelminiae. The seedlings phenoptype is not just a direct result from the parents involved but also from parents further back. I would expect a lot of variation from this cross but some should avoid the problems you have identified.

Bad news on the cross with William Ambler Stephen. I pollinated two flowers and none took. I have two good looking pods with my roth x William Ambler though.

Latest posts

Back