Paph. wilhelminae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great looking plant. How are you growing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice. I've had one of these, a little darker, but it never raised the dorsal beyond horizontal ...which was the only problem had with it. Your plant presents with great form.

Looks like P. wilhelminiae to me, John, but without seeing the plant or without knowing the history it could be anything.

Need much more info.

Good looking plant and flowers John.

I have one that's been in sheath for a while now that should bloom soon. I noticed this was a post from 3 months ago so I don't suppose you saved pollen??

There was some relatively recent debate that Garay stirred up on this species that suggested the "true" wilhelminae had non-twisted petals. But as far as I could tell this was based on a preserved specimen from the 1930's or a picture from the late 1800's.

Cribb has pics from the type locality and those flowers have twisted petals.

From what I can see in the pics your flowers also have the boxy staminode with little horns at the top corners (also indicative of wilhelminae).

Okay. Thanks Lance.
Other than not being as dark as I've seen wilhelminae in the past, it looks just like what I've come to think of as being this species. It's a very small, compact plant and even though it's multi-growth, it's only got the two flowers. For me, if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and ......... I'll keep the original tag in the pot and I'll add a question mark on a second tag with wilhelminae on it.

Rick, I checked my records and....no, I didn't keep the pollen. Sorry.

Back