Paph. wilhelminae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
This plant has a label that says Paph. praestans var. gardinerii; but, I believe it to be Paph. wilhelminae. I will double check with Lance Birk and get his opinion.

The plant is quite small and compact; typical of wilhelminae. I like that. It's in a 4 1/2" pot. For future bloomings, I hope to get 3 flowers per stem. Just one or two flowers is typical of wilhelminae; but, 3 is not unheard of.

36778.jpg

36779.jpg

36780.jpg

36781.jpg

36782.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful! My wilhelminae has longer, narrower leaves than your plant which is interesting, but I recently got the plant and it may just be culture related.

Thanks all.

Mike. Of course, there is vaiability and foliage size/shape is one factor. However, this plant has been growing in the brightest spot in my greenhouse with an unobstructed Western sun exposure, hot days and cool nights. I do find that with strap leafed Paphs, high light produces a more compact, firm, succulent type foliage and low light produces large, floppy, thin and soft foliage. I'm sure other factors such as light quality, temperature and nutrition also play a role in how a plant grows.

Last edited:
That's really nice John. Really healthy plant too.

From my understanding praestans var. gardinerii is the old name for wilheminiae. That is, they are one and the same.

That's really nice John. Really healthy plant too.

From my understanding praestans var. gardinerii is the old name for wilheminiae. That is, they are one and the same.

Thanks for that. It came from a local nursery that closed down in 2008; but, the owners were in orchids for decades before that. I don't know when this plant was a seedling, or when this tag was originally written.

I just picked up a gardineri from Sam, and I hope it looks half as nice as this does! Thanks for sharing!

David

Stunning plant and flower. Thanks John......I want, I want. :drool:

Edit......oh nevermind.....I already have one. :eek: I just hope it blooms out as nice as yours. :clap:

Latest posts

Back