Paph Whitemoor ‘Ashlands’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice blooming. Wish my green complexes would bloom. It’s been 2 years now and I’m trying cold nights but nothing. Maybe higher light levels? Big growths too :(

that's an oldie
I have an orchid acquaintance I have know since the 90’s that happens to live less than a mile away. He has a greenhouse that is 15’x30’. Wonderful man, but he was always reluctant to sell many plants so I seldom went to see him. Well this summer I went by and found out that he now has Parkinson’s and for the most part he was unable to care for his plants. I offered to help him out with repotting the plants as most of them were in dire straights with mix that was all but completely broken down. He had me divide and repot an enormous Landmark afterwards he gave me half. Then he gave me an A delaresse, and a couple of other plants. Then one morning we were talking and he gave me the greenhouse. A few weeks later he gave me all the plants! 60 years worth of collecting plants so it was an unbelievable honor. I counted the other day and there are around 400, the vast majority are paphs, but the collection also contains lots of nice intergenerics, a handful of mini cats, a few dendrobs, and an assortment of other nice orchids representing a variety of genus’s. Anyway that’s why you will see lots of oldies posted by me in the coming months.

I have an orchid acquaintance I have know since the 90’s that happens to live less than a mile away. He has a greenhouse that is 15’x30’. Wonderful man, but he was always reluctant to sell many plants so I seldom went to see him. Well this summer I went by and found out that he now has Parkinson’s and for the most part he was unable to care for his plants. I offered to help him out with repotting the plants as most of them were in dire straights with mix that was all but completely broken down. He had me divide and repot an enormous Landmark afterwards he gave me half. Then he gave me an A delaresse, and a couple of other plants. Then one morning we were talking and he gave me the greenhouse. A few weeks later he gave me all the plants! 60 years worth of collecting plants so it was an unbelievable honor. I counted the other day and there are around 400, the vast majority are paphs, but the collection also contains lots of nice intergenerics, a handful of mini cats, a few dendrobs, and an assortment of other nice orchids representing a variety of genus’s. Anyway that’s why you will see lots of oldies posted by me in the coming months.
That’s a beautiful story...he wants his plants provided for...

if I may offer to your friend a suggestion: consider adding the mushroom Lion’s Mane (Hericium erinacaeus) to the diet. It is now widely available in groceries and by order and since he actually has Parkinson’s, he might wish to consider using a concentrated extract. This mushroom is delicious; tastes like sweet crabmeat or scallops. It has been proven neurogenetic, meaning it contributes to the growth of new neurons in adults. I have personally witnessed astounding changes in a women with severe Parkinson’s, this mushroom added being the only variable. Best wishes.

Latest posts

Back