Paph. wenshanense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lienluu

A first bloom seedling...

wen1.jpg

wen2.jpg

That is great. I really like these. I have a conco-bellatulum X bellatulum just opening ... my first brachy.
Cheers,
Tim

Great! This one has really large dorsal, and the line dots on the petals are special.
Is this a seedling from wenshanense x wenshanense, or from concolor x bellatulum? The line spots on this one seems to be influenced by concolor.

Chien said:
Great! This one has really large dorsal, and the line dots on the petals are special.
Is this a seedling from wenshanense x wenshanense, or from concolor x bellatulum? The line spots on this one seems to be influenced by concolor.

I am hoping the next bloom will be substantially better. It's not the best blooming for this plant, as the bud was wedged between two pots and opened smooshed up between them. So i think that had this not happened, the bloom would have been much more 'open'

It's from wenshanense x wenshanense

Chien said:
Is this a seedling from wenshanense x wenshanense, or from concolor x bellatulum?
Hello Chien,

As you know Paph. wenshanense and Paph. conco-bellatulum are the same. According to the taxonomists the difference between P. wenshanense and p. conco-bellatulum is as following:
Paph. wenshanense is a natural hybrid between Paph. concolor and Paph. bellatulum. Those plants must have grown in-situ in the wilderness.
Paph. conco-bellatulum is the name for all artificial crossed and propagated plants.
I claim that all of our plants are artificial propagated and therefore they all are Paph. conco-bellatulum!!!!!:confused:

lienluu said:
It's from wenshanense x wenshanense

Even Paph. wenshanense x Paph. wenshanense is Paph. conco-bellatulum if it's artificial propagated and grown.

Very confusing !!!! :confused:

Best regards from Germany, GuRu

Last edited:
GuRu said:
Even Paph. wenshanense x Paph. wenshanense is Paph. conco-bellatulum when it's artificial propagated and grown.

The reason I stated that it is Paph. wenshanense x Paph. wenshanense is because that the parents used, were both wild specimens, not artificially produced conco-bellatulum. This is to differentiate between using parents that were artificially created using manmade (concolor x bellatulum) parents.

John M said:
If wenshanense is a natural hybrid, then it should be written as " Paph. x wenshanense".....

Hello John M,

No, Paph. wenshanenese was described as a distinct species in 2000 by Z.J.Liu & J.Yong Zhang and therefore the name has to be written without an x as P. wenshanense.
please have a look at http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/people/tanaka/orchid/org/shinshu/enshinshu37.html or
http://orchids.la.coocan.jp/Paphiopedilum/Paphiopedilum wenshanense/Paphiopedilum wenshanense.htm
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

Back