Paph wenshanense var. aureum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
This 10 year old Paphiopedilum wenshanense var. aureum started to grow in two opposite directions for some time now with the oldest growths in the center long gone.
Earlier this year two new growths started to grow filling the “bald spot” up😁😍
It currently has one bud ready to open and two seed capsules developing along nicely.
98BFD881-78D4-46FD-A0F7-3BA3F2E1DFCC.jpeg

Last edited:
The grower's diary goes on...:)

The two seed capsules are each from December and January. Almost time to harvest them and get to work!
Both of those growths immediately sent out a new growth and one of them is about to flower.
The other growth should soon follow.
This plant is always growing throughout the year and blooms as soon as a growth has 2-4 leaves on it.
So I get to see it in bloom 2-3 times a year.

Interestingly, the seed capsule from outcross is smaller than the one from selfing. I wonder if that means anything regarding the seed counts inside the capsule. I would think outcross should be more fruitful than selfing. Maybe selfing does not affect the productivity of fruits but only the potential quality of genetics?

Gorgeous!!! Almost time to divide for our possible trade lol. 🤞🤞🤞

The size of the seed pod don’t always indicate seed quantity in my experience.
The two growing ends have nowhere left to go on the pot edge, so I will have to repot soon. I've been meaning to, but never got to it. Typical of me 😁
Now that the two babies are growing their own roots, I plan on leaving them on longer until they are stronger.
The, I'm not sure yet if I want the whole thing as one clump in the same pot or have two pots of it. The plant is already naturally in two parts.

You can wait for flasks of selfing. I also plan on selling the other of the speices. The whole thing as a set or separate them individually.
Too bad you're on the other side of the border.

The two growing ends have nowhere left to go on the pot edge, so I will have to repot soon. I've been meaning to, but never got to it. Typical of me 😁
Now that the two babies are growing their own roots, I plan on leaving them on longer until they are stronger.
The, I'm not sure yet if I want the whole thing as one clump in the same pot or have two pots of it. The plant is already naturally in two parts.

You can wait for flasks of selfing. I also plan on selling the other of the speices. The whole thing as a set or separate them individually.
Too bad you're on the other side of the border.
Make no mistake Neil… I have growers in US that can hold plants for me until I come across the border, which is 3-5 times a year. 😉

Or you can hold and ship to my hotel during Tamiami or Redlands lol. If there is a will, there is a way.🤭

And yes, a small division of this album would be a prize exchange or purchase for me!! PM me 🤞.

Last edited:
When is your next planned visit?
Or I can send you a flask in the future that might easier as that would be straight from me to you.
My next US adventure will likely be in January for the Tamiami show.

I can receive both flasks and plants direct then lol. Thanks a bunch for considering this!

Latest posts

Back