Paph. wardii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If my wardii looked like this one, I'd be quite happy. I can grow it, but
the damn thing blasts every bloom attempt so far. I think it hates me.

I make a "tigrinum strategy" with this one while flowering and seems to work fine for me. As long as bud stays stuck down inside the crown...I try not to water too much (just a regular misting on the surface to keep the bark slightly wet). After more than 3 and a half months, when I see that stem starts to develope, I increase watering in an "almost regular" frequency (as it´s a winter bloomer, I don´t water the plant too much).
Avoid airstreams and any change in location while flowering.

I hope this works for you too! :):)

I make a "tigrinum strategy" with this one while flowering and seems to work fine for me. As long as bud stays stuck down inside the crown...I try not to water too much (just a regular misting on the surface to keep the bark slightly wet). After more than 3 and a half months, when I see that stem starts to develope, I increase watering in an "almost regular" frequency (as it´s a winter bloomer, I don´t water the plant too much).
Avoid airstreams and any change in location while flowering.

I hope this works for you too! :):)
Really? I pretty much drench my wardii all the time in bud or not, but then I pretty much drench every Paph with deadly consequences at times. And I just moved it into my kitchen from the livingroom recently, too (I'm doing everything wrong with it). :rollhappy:

I'm just waiting for it to stop flowering now so I can repot it. It's been at it for over a month now, so it should start to wilt soon.

Really? I pretty much drench my wardii all the time in bud or not, but then I pretty much drench every Paph with deadly consequences at times. And I just moved it into my kitchen from the livingroom recently, too (I'm doing everything wrong with it). :rollhappy:

I'm just waiting for it to stop flowering now so I can repot it. It's been at it for over a month now, so it should start to wilt soon.

Well...you know my tendency to water my plants too little... :eek:
After opening the flower, I don´t find wardii prone to loose the flower so I think it doesn´t matter if you move it to another place now.

What a wonderful picture! Well done.

Here in Europe I often see offers of Paph species that are selfings. To self a Paph is a good tool in breeding Complex Paphs to get a recombination of the characteristics of the parents and to get recessive characteristics to expression. But if you do this with species you breed for weakness.

On the other hand it's weakness may be a cultural issue...

Back