Paph. wardii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
Dun-dun-DUN! Finally it made it! *does mad dance of joy*

This guy tried to flower 2012, but the bud blasted just as it was about to open. I think this was due to too low humidity levels (my venustum was struggling when trying to flower after this one, too).

This year, the spike grew very well, and the only hiccup happened when the spike stopped growing and the bud started developing more. I thought it had stalled completely, and would blast again. I didn't realize how much more growing it had left so I tried to "help" it open its bud waaaay to early... Bad Paph owner strikes again. Luckily, the only side effect of said stupid Paph owner, is a slight browning on the very tip of the dorsal.

The flower is slightly wonky, and askew, but I'm still very happy with it. I've nicknamed it my "supermodel" since it's so slender. :wink:

I'm also looking forward to the discussion I'm expecting about the purity of this wardii (yup, it's a selfing of the "notorious" 'Darkwing' clone :wink: ). Of course I hope it's a pure species, but I guess only a DNA-test could tell.

Here it is:

269852.orig.jpg

269858.orig.jpg

269859.orig.jpg

Here's a close up of the dorsal, which I find very intriguing. I have spent hours browsing the web for pictures of wardii, especially darker clones, and I've found several pictures of wardii with these reddish spots on the dorsal. I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but the stripes on the dorsal are green and not wine coloured, as they might appear; it's the spots following the green stripes, which gives this appearance (on the backside of the dorsal, the stripes ARE a reddish brown - most interesting, if you ask me). However, I have so far not found any picture of a wardii with the same slight pink blush on the dorsal. I like this feature a lot, but I don't know what it says about my wardii, actually being a wardii... :p

269856.orig.jpg

Yeeeaaaa! You did it! I like several things about the bloom, but the
suffusion of reddish pink all through the dorsal and petals is very attractive
and perhaps unusual.

Glad you finally flowered it. And another bud coming too.
I am too. :D I'm so pleased with it being as dark as it is, too.

Lovely dark petals on that clone. I can't recall seeing a wardii with two flowers so that is good going.
I think I found a post here on ST of a wardii with three buds actually, but two buds, and especially three, doesn't seem that usual. My sukh had a double bud too, that I had to cut off due to it being infested with mites and/or fungi... :sob:

Yeeeaaaa! You did it! I like several things about the bloom, but the
suffusion of reddish pink all through the dorsal and petals is very attractive
and perhaps unusual.
I know! I'm supreme! :rollhappy:
Or not... I only bought the second humidifier and managed not to kill the poor bud while it developed. :p

I can't decide what I like best about it... All I know is that I get a craving for chocolate every time I look at that pouch... :drool:

Well done. Stop being so impatient.
Yes dad... :eek:

You did it Terése!

Double congrats for this double flowerig.
Yup! Or, my wardii did it, despite me. :wink:

A double flower is very special for this species, so very good:clap::clap:

Nice and dark. I really like it.

I can't recall the controversy over the parentage you mentioned, but it looks pretty much like a wardii to me.

A double flower is very special for this species, so very good:clap::clap:

Nice and dark. I really like it.

I can't recall the controversy over the parentage you mentioned, but it looks pretty much like a wardii to me.

paphwardiidarkwing.jpg

Fortunately picture is still here.

The thread is an interesting read.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12958

According to Xavier. It Darkwing clone involves purpuratum x wardii or something like that.

paphwardiidarkwing.jpg

Fortunately picture is still here.

The thread is an interesting read.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12958

According to Xavier. It Darkwing clone involves purpuratum x wardii or something like that.
Yes, that was what I was referring to. I came across another similar thing on a German orchid forum as well, but there it seems they thought it had venustum somewhere in its background (I don't speak a word of German, so I used google translate, which means I could be utterly wrong, in other words).

I honestly can't see either species in this clone, but then I'm an amateur, so I leave the speculation to the professionals. :)

It´s curious that the darkest wardiis I´ve seen they all come from european growers or sources.

Moreover I find the flowers of these dark wardiis less compact than the greener clones.

I have a very dark wardii as well (from France in my case) but the dorsal of my plant has pure green strips.
This was its first flowering (I´m waiting for the second one yet :poke:). Aside from the awful shape...the color is really dark.

feiw0JEuJjXXbLzLWXoksC97-gefoo_r9Lyjk6X5ydE

Unfortunatelly my plant has no clonal name, but If you´re specially interested I could try to ask the vendor about the origin of my plant. Maybe he could tell us something interesting... (or maybe not :()

Greetings!

The more I look at it, the more I wonder about the identity. The dorsal in wardii seems pretty uniform - white with green stripes. The dorsal in yours has an incredible amount of pink as does the petals. My wardii does not have any pink whatsoever. The dorsal seems to have Maudiae influence.

Are you saying yours is a selfing of that Darkwing clone above? That looks really suspicious to me.

The leaves in yours looks like wardii though. So I'm a bit unsure.

Thanks for the nice comments guys. It's still working on that second bud and it looks like it might get as big as the first flower.

I've no problem seeing the pictures, so that's strange, Gary...

It´s curious that the darkest wardiis I´ve seen they all come from european growers or sources.

Moreover I find the flowers of these dark wardiis less compact than the greener clones.

I have a very dark wardii as well (from France in my case) but the dorsal of my plant has pure green strips.
This was its first flowering (I´m waiting for the second one yet :poke:). Aside from the awful shape...the color is really dark.

feiw0JEuJjXXbLzLWXoksC97-gefoo_r9Lyjk6X5ydE

Unfortunatelly my plant has no clonal name, but If you´re specially interested I could try to ask the vendor about the origin of my plant. Maybe he could tell us something interesting... (or maybe not :()

Greetings!
I wouldn't be surprised if your wardii is a relative of mine. It's gorgeous and I hope it'll flower for you again soon. :D

The more I look at it, the more I wonder about the identity. The dorsal in wardii seems pretty uniform - white with green stripes. The dorsal in yours has an incredible amount of pink as does the petals. My wardii does not have any pink whatsoever. The dorsal seems to have Maudiae influence.

Are you saying yours is a selfing of that Darkwing clone above? That looks really suspicious to me.

The leaves in yours looks like wardii though. So I'm a bit unsure.
Yup, that pink hue on the dorsal seems rather unique (and strange). It's a 'Darkwing' x self I have, and as far as I can tell, it's pure wardii, but I'm no expert.

I have a 'Darkwing' as well and it is currently flowering. Here it is:
Very nice Björn! Yours looks like atlanti's wardii, with much less pinkish dots on the dorsal, and no pink hue either. I wonder why mine has so much of it?

Back