Paph wardii 'ugly'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phaladdict

Orchids addict
Reaction score
First bloom seedling, I really don't know whath happened but it is opening asymmetrically especially staminode , seems to turn opposite direction of where the ligjt come, it is not 100% open but i dont have many expectations , perhaps next bud to open or next flowering will be better i give him another occasion....

Attachments

• IMG_20200114_175137.jpg
    IMG_20200114_175137.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
As other features of the flower are attractive, why not give it a second chance to see, whether the anomaly might not just be due to something or other during the development of the bud/flower?

Indeed will give it another chance for sure, after all asymmetry apart color and size are not bad

It looks as if it were drunk so stop watering it with beer....and all distortions will disappear......:D Yes I'm off and will hide me.

IMG_5081.JPG IMG_5080.JPG
When the flower started to open I thought there was only one lateral petal. The missing petal was actually growing in the pouch. I tried to gentley remove it, but it was very tender and I tore it. You can see that the inside of the slipper and the staminode are out of whack from the petal growing in there. Luckily there is a back up.
Don

View attachment 17725 View attachment 17726
When the flower started to open I thought there was only one lateral petal. The missing petal was actually growing in the pouch. I tried to gentley remove it, but it was very tender and I tore it. You can see that the inside of the slipper and the staminode are out of whack from the petal growing in there. Luckily there is a back up.
Don

Indeed the result seems the same but cause seems different:in my case really seems flower is turning away from the light, perhaps is just a coincidence i dont know, but in real life is much more asymmetrical than in photo... I have to say thath is a smallish single growht seedlings, perhaps in future will be better
Can I ask from where your parnatanum come? I used to have a few then sold and remained with only one, my source don't carry these anymore at moment, would like to buy a few again

Indeed the result seems the same but cause seems different:in my case really seems flower is turning away from the light, perhaps is just a coincidence i dont know, but in real life is much more asymmetrical than in photo... I have to say thath is a smallish single growht seedlings, perhaps in future will be better
Can I ask from where your parnatanum come? I used to have a few then sold and remained with only one, my source don't carry these anymore at moment, would like to buy a few again
I got it from Forestview Gardens B.C. Canada in 2017, but right now and for a while they haven't had any species except for spicerianum. Terry told me in Sept. of this year it was because of the cost of new seedlings. I can't say 100%, but I think they buy at least some of their stuff from Tiawan.

had a first bloom seedling last year of wardii that bloomed no petals... so i'd take the drunken version... better than what i had!

Latest posts

Back