Paph. wardii album & fairrieanum album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nicely staked and presentable.

Very wide dorsal on the fairrieanum. What’s interesting is that some albums have this red blush, and still called albums. In other species, it’s a no no.

The wardii album has a nice stance. The lip is particularly nicely veined clearly.

Well done!

Two beauties and Leslie already explained why.

Very wide dorsal on the fairrieanum. What’s interesting is that some albums have this red blush, and still called albums. In other species, it’s a no no.......

But Leslie, you have to look very closely to see a reddish shading on the petals. In this case I wouldn't say it isn't an album flower. Maybe it's the light, maybe the photo.....

It definitely has a pinkish tinge to it. The plant came from a flask from Sam Tsui and it was a cross that has albino parents in the background. All the others from the flask have been red so far.

The cross is 'Semi Gigantic' x 'Russ's Red'. Sam did expect some would be albino. In his description he said that both parents were from 2nd germination albino breeding.

The red one was awarded an AM. Unfortunately the album couldn’t be judged due to Covid

All three very nice flowers, although I'm especially taken by the intense colouring of the dark fairrie - and the wide dorsals of both sibs!

Just for the record, if you are at some point taking the albinistic fairrie to judging, the albino form of fairrieanum is botanically designated 'fma. bohlmannianum'.

But that dark fairrie...that cross of Sam's is definately going on my wishlist! ;)

Kind regards, Jens

Last edited:
Back