Paph wardii 2014

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
The lighting in the GH was pretty poor when I took these pics so I tried some different lighting settings on the camera to get the colors right on this flower.

The top photo used the fluorescent light setting, and the green is right, but lacks red. I took that photo and increased red a bit to get the pic about to what I perceive is the true color of the flower. The bottom pic was taken with the cloudy day setting, which is pretty close for the red in the flower, but makes the greens muddy.

This is the Prince Charles clone that was awarded 3 years ago, which is the result of a breeding I did several years ago using pollen from another ST member (Gilda).

No matter which light setting you use, those petals are extremely impressive. It looks great and well grown.

hope this is close to your flower:

m9udsy.jpg

I just took the first one.

I think your changes came out pretty good:) One of my favorite parts of this flower (which is pretty consistent with every bloom on this plant) is the bright green stripes in the dorsal and the clear green window surrounding the staminode. In sunlight this flower really pops.

I like it growing in the basket. It looks like it belongs to its basket...
Well done!

30iu83t.jpg

Ahhaa you fixed that pic too:clap:

Yes my barbata types do pretty good in the baskets.

I'm starting to experiment more with my old potting systems to save some space. But the ones I want to keep go into the baskets.

Rick, are all y'all having a rainy season down yonder? Been quite a spell
since we've seen any sun here. (I'm writing in hillbilly so Eric can't read it.)

Gorgeous Paph. *$%#! Mine continues to blast. Maybe a basket? Please
tell me exactly what's in that basket and I'll try to duplicate it.

*fascinating photo work too*

Rick, are all y'all having a rainy season down yonder? Been quite a spell
since we've seen any sun here. (I'm writing in hillbilly so Eric can't read it.)

Gorgeous Paph. *$%#! Mine continues to blast. Maybe a basket? Please
tell me exactly what's in that basket and I'll try to duplicate it.

*fascinating photo work too*

Morning Angela.

Yup b'n raenin n'clowdy down this holler too.

If it will make you feel better, this one blasted two buds back in August, but I don't know why it even tried blooming in the summer anyway. So wasted two growths back the summer, but put on 2 or so more. This basket is moss lined but full of hydroton balls. I have some others in baskets with limestone rock, so I don't think it matters that much as long as the bulk of material drains like crazy. You could probably use Styrofoam peanuts like I have in most of the Cattleya pots. I attribute most of the success to cutting feed rate back to a constant trickle of low K. N application rates are 5ppm or less trickled in on a daily basis. I think the faster indicator that feed rates are good is when the moss and ferns start taking over the pots.

Latest posts

Back