Paph. Wölssner Helene

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

ORG

Here a very nice hybrid
Paphiopedilum Wössner Helene, the cross between Paph. charleswortii with Paph. helenae

PaphWssnerHelene-charlesworthiiXhel.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

Hmmm. I don't care for helenae so it would follow I'm not going to love any of it's hybrids. But it's educational :> Thanks for posting the photos.

Strange, both the strong yellow (helenae) & purple (charlesworthii) disappear from the result.
Are you sure it is not a mixed up that the flask actually is a hybrid of tranlienianum or barbigerum with something.....?

It is sure that the parents are helenae and charlesworthii.

The plants are in trade in Germany, but only one nursery, the originator of this cross, has plants.

Best greetings

Olaf

I disagree, i generally only really like Parvi crosses but the size and shape of this are interesting enough to get one. I would like to be able to get one of every plant, I guess I'm a collector/grower. But money and space requirements allow me only to get plants I prefer.

These primary crosses are interesting since they show the relative dominance of the two species. Paph helenae seems quite dominant for shape and Paph charlesworthii always seems to present that lovely staminode. The color is perhaps different than you might expect but this might be a good first step to miniature (tiny) complex types.

Thanks for sharing, Olaf. Certainly an interesting result.. definitely not what I was expecting! I agree with Hien, it's a pity that crossing a yellow dorsal + pink pouch (helenae) with a purple dorsal and tan pouch (charlesworthii) produces a white dorsal with muddy color.. :poke:

Thanks for sharing, Olaf. Certainly an interesting result.. definitely not what I was expecting! I agree with Hien, it's a pity that crossing a yellow dorsal + pink pouch (helenae) with a purple dorsal and tan pouch (charlesworthii) produces a white dorsal with muddy color.. :poke:

We've only seen one plant, it would be interesting to see what others look like. We'll cross our fingers!?

We've only seen one plant, it would be interesting to see what others look like. We'll cross our fingers!?

If this my plant, I'd definitely cross it with my hermanii to see if the offspring will be dark chocolate color throughout! :rollhappy: That should look quite yummy... hehe :drool:

That's indeed an interesting cross... However, it would be also interesting to see the same cross with the alba variety of charlesworthii...

on the other hand, and regarding the colors... I disagree with the comments that because the flowers are brown the cross is not good... taste in colors is a matter of fashion (yes, believe it or not we are all influenced by fashion!. A couple of years ago, it would have not been possible to think green flowers (and not only orchids) would be in vogue some day, and now they are.. on the other hand, I know a lot of people who likes brown tones.. me, for example, like a lot all the Paph with brown (earth) tones, like the plants shown here...

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange, both the strong yellow (helenae) & purple (charlesworthii) disappear from the result.
Are you sure it is not a mixed up that the flask actually is a hybrid of tranlienianum or barbigerum with something.....?
I have to side with you Hien. Looks too off to be what it is claimed to be. Even if it is the correct parents, I would have to bloom more before I used this clone in further breeding. The color is fine for me but the shape needs a lot of work.

Latest posts

Back