Paph volunteanum (blooming this time)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masaccio

Reaction score
It finally happened. Stem length from top of pot, not including sheath or ovary: 26-3/4"; Flower width: 3.5"; height: 3". I don't know how the flower "rates". I appreciated that it has good natural posture on the stem. It's very pretty in my collection!

L52A0492.JPGL52A0496 (2).JPGL52A0496.JPG

Thanks! It was grown under lights. Ceiling tracklight; Cree spots. ;)

My "under lights" days were a long time ago and ancient technology. My main bench was a 8' HO four bulb fixture using a combo of Gro-lux wide spectrum and cool whites. A stem half that length would have been a challenge. Didn't have all the goodies available today. Did grow some very nice orchids under it, though.

Wow that’s the tallest stem I’ve ever seen. Mine was about 18 inches at most.

What is source and parentage? And could you show plant pics with leaves (top and bottom). Just want to see it versus hookerae.

..........Stem length from top of pot, not including sheath or ovary: 26-3/4".........

Wow, this is sooooo loooong. For my imagination 67,5 cm is a better value. Anyway, it's a lovely flower, too. 👌
As far as I can see, the leaves have a yelloish shine. Maybe your light is too strong or the plant has a nutrient deficit (Mg, Fe)??

You do wonder about the reasons for this species and the recently posted malipoense developing such long stems. I assume that it makes the blooms more accessible or likely to be pollinated.
David

You do wonder about the reasons for this species and the recently posted malipoense developing such long stems. I assume that it makes the blooms more accessible or likely to be pollinated.
David
I agree.Volonteanum grows in habitat surrounded with high grass so if it wants to be visible for pollinators( maybe some kind og flies) it must be have very long stem.Very nice plant and flower anyway.

Latest posts

Back