Paph violascens 'Subtlety'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Greenpaph

Currently in bloom. First time bloomer!

For those that are familiar with the flower; how does this compare to standard?

PaphviolascensSubtlety.jpg

PaphviolascensSubtletyfullshot.jpg

Very impressive, Peter! I can only compare it to other photos... I've never grown one myself, but it looks like a really nice one to me. If it's fully open, I'd say that it's award quality. (looking a bit closer, the dorsal seems to lean a bit to one side... maybe you'll get the award on another blooming, if it doesn't straighten up. Still, pretty awesome)

- Matt

Must be late, somehow I interpreted that as a Phal. violacea. What a surprise!

Not what I expected but cute. Is this in the same group as hennisyanum (sp?). I love that species.

Heather,

Yes, it is in the Barbata section.

thanks

violascens

Peter,
Very nice. I would say the petals look unusually wide, compared to the dorsal & pouch. If measurements show petals are about normal for awarded violascens, then the pouch & dorsal are smallish, otherwise visa versa,a plant with normal dorsal & pouch and very big petals. Good color, I would keep watering it, overall a very nice plant.
Leo

The plant is 25.5 cm (10 in) leaf span. Currently one growth. :sob: The spike is 23 cm (9 in) high.

The overall flower spread is 7 cm (2.5 in).
The dorsal is 2.5 cm wide and 2.5 cm (1 in) high.
The petals are 6.3 cm long and 1.5 cm wide.

I agree with Leo on the extra wide petals.
I think I've seen some pics with darker color, but it may just be the picture.

This species is not common in collections and may not have much award history to compete with, but at 7cm its right in the middle of Cribb's taxonomic description.

Great growing Peter, you are have a good year with the oddballs.

Latest posts

Back