Paph violascens and schoseri

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks folks for all these kind comments !

Rick, I grow two violascecs from different vendors (one of them was offered to me as a guaranteed papuanum) and the foliage is quite identical - dark and light green mottled. I think I can post a photo here in the next few days.

That's my concern. My "papuanums" are only faintly mottled more like my mastersianum. But that does not preclude wentworthianum, bouganvilianum, or even a few of the zeikinanum seedlings I've seen.

Oooh, I'll show my violascens and my schoserii your pictures. My schoserii is in bud, but takes forever to do something! But at least now I know they're not as quick as some other Paphs might be. :)

My violascens seems to be a quite happy little fellow, so I hope to see it bloom in the future and continue growing afterwards.

Congrats on both of your wonderful Paphs! :D

...Can you include a picture of the foliage for violascians?

Rick, here is the photo. It shows both P. violascens that I grow and both are true violascens.

paph_violascens_leaves.jpg

Very nice Rudolf. Two species you don't see every day. You are obviously doing a good job growing these. Violascens in particular is beyond most of us mortals.

I'm intriqued by your mix. You said it is Seramis and broken LECA clay balls, but what is Seramis, please?
Dot, Seramis® is a clay granulate produced in Germany. It is used to replace soil in the pots of indoor plants. If you are interested here is a link in English Seramis®
You can buy it here in Germany perhaps in Europe in every garden centre or 'Home Depot'. Obviously it is very restrictively available in the US as you can see here Seramis® in North-America.

Why are there pipes in the pots?
I use pots made for hydroponics and the hole (it isn't a pipe) is there to fix in a water level indicator.

Dot, Seramis® is a clay granulate produced in Germany. It is used to replace soil in the pots of indoor plants. If you are interested here is a link in English Seramis®
You can buy it here in Germany perhaps in Europe in every garden centre or 'Home Depot'. Obviously it is very restrictively available in the US as you can see here Seramis® in North-America.

I use pots made for hydroponics and the hole (it isn't a pipe) is there to fix in a water level indicator.

Interesting pots.

Paphiopedilum zieckinaum was only a synonym of Paph. papuanum. Paph. violascens was sold and shown in the 20th century very often as Paph. papuanum. Also hybrids with violascens were registered as hybrids of papuanum. The differences between violascens and papuanum are so great, but These plants were last century very rare in culture. Here a typical papuanum.

Paphiopedilum papuanum 2008 - 04 Pflanze a.jpg Paphiopedilum papuanum 2008 - 05 Blüte Front b.jpg Paphiopedilum papuanum 2008 - 05 Blüte Front Seite a.jpg

Thanks folks for all these kind comments !

Rick, I grow two violascecs from different vendors (one of them was offered to me as a guaranteed papuanum) and the foliage is quite identical - dark and light green mottled. I think I can post a photo here in the next few days.

The spike was a slow grower - but slow is relative. Compared with malipoense or jackii it's been a fast grower!

No Istvan, these plant flowered in my collection for the second time, first time in 2011. This is the mislabled plant. Different German vendors/nurseries offer violascens.

As I told here already before I'm an indoor grower, I don't have a greenhouse and all of my Paphs have to live with us in our house.
Due to that fact I can't do much special to my plants. The pots stand on windowsills or most of them just on the room floor in front of room-high windows. O.K., the temperature differs slightly between one room and the other. Only micranthum, armeniacum, insigne, venustum and few more are now in a room with cooler conditions.
I water once a week and I don't spray usually.
I experimented with inorganic potting mixes and now I use one mix for all of my Paphs - Seramis and broken LECA clay balls. I mix them by emotion maybe 60/40 or 50/50. Due to the inorganic medium I don't repot (I'm a lazy bone). Some of my Paphs have grown in this mix since five years now.
Thank you for all this info! Are you saying you grow in semihydropinics? Do you flush and drain, flush and drain? Or do you just water like a regular mix?

Thanks Olaf for the historical facts and clarification. I have a few papuanums, and two were in bud. However one blasted in cool conditios and the other was moved to a warm night location and is still in spike. Hopefully I get to see a flower within the month.

I keep hearing that papuanum needs cool conditions to grow and bloom well, but that is not my experience. Anyone else thinks this?

Thank you for all this info! Are you saying you grow in semihydropinics? Do you flush and drain, flush and drain? Or do you just water like a regular mix?

Holy cow...my old thread came up, what a surprise
Brucher, sorry for the belated response, but I was away on a journey for a few weeks. First of all I'm an indoor grower without a greenhouse. I grow few orchids in real hydroponics but not my Paphs not even in semihydroponics. The only reason why I chose an inorganic and inert potting mix is: I wanted to enlarge the period until I had to repot. This works quite well with some of my Paphs. that like this medium well. For example, some of my Brachys have been growing in this medium over 8, 9 or 10 years without repotting. Others seem to struggle with that medium, but over all I'm pleased. A few years ago I modified the mix and added (more) cut Styrofoam to avoid too much consolidation of the mix.
I water them regularly, at the beginning on top of the medium but since about half a year I've been watering only inside the decoration pot and so far it works well. At the moment I water plus minus every fortnight and I don't spray the plants. After potting new plants or for plants with root problems I put a transparent plastic bag over the pot.

Last edited:
Thanks for the culture of Paphs in inorganic substrate Guru. It does prolong the period of repotting. The only thing to watch out for is the salt accumulation if water is more than 100-200 ppm. If rainwater and RO is used, there shouldn't be any problem I think.

But it begs me back to my original question when I revived this thread... how is the violascense after all these years? Any new bloom pics?

Latest posts

Back