Paph violascens and schoseri

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In these dark and dull winter days two gems were flowering in my collection:

Paph violascens

paph_violascens_13.jpg

paph_violascens_13_1.jpg

Paph schoseri

paph_schoseri_13_1.jpg

paph_schoseri_13_2.jpg

paph_schoseri_13_3.jpg

Very Nice Guru!!

Can you include a picture of the foliage for violascians?

We are seeing more (possible?) papuanum, zeikianum, wentworthianum, bouganvillum plants around and this may help ID them in the lack of actuall flowers to see.

Hi Rudolph nice plants. I find that schosceri spike takes too long to bloom. Is this the case for you also?

Both of them very nice!

My questions:
-is it first blooming of viola and where do you got it?
-how do you grow viola? (potting mix, watering, light, humidity)

Many thanks: Istvan

How you manage to grow then bloom! violascens is beyond me but I'm glad you can! Its always exciting to see this species when you post it!
Thanks Rudolf!

Are you growing schoseri S/H?

Thanks folks for all these kind comments !
.....Can you include a picture of the foliage for violascians? We are seeing more (possible?) papuanum, zeikianum, wentworthianum, bouganvillum plants around and this may help ID them in the lack of actuall flowers to see.
Rick, I grow two violascecs from different vendors (one of them was offered to me as a guaranteed papuanum) and the foliage is quite identical - dark and light green mottled. I think I can post a photo here in the next few days.
Hi Rudolph nice plants. I find that schosceri spike takes too long to bloom. Is this the case for you also?
The spike was a slow grower - but slow is relative. Compared with malipoense or jackii it's been a fast grower!

.....My questions:
-is it first blooming of viola and where do you got it?
No Istvan, these plant flowered in my collection for the second time, first time in 2011. This is the mislabled plant. Different German vendors/nurseries offer violascens.
-how do you grow viola? (potting mix, watering, light, humidity)
Many thanks: Istvan
Both are very cool!!!! Could you describe the media (=> schoseri)? Jean

As I told here already before I'm an indoor grower, I don't have a greenhouse and all of my Paphs have to live with us in our house.
Due to that fact I can't do much special to my plants. The pots stand on windowsills or most of them just on the room floor in front of room-high windows. O.K., the temperature differs slightly between one room and the other. Only micranthum, armeniacum, insigne, venustum and few more are now in a room with cooler conditions.
I water once a week and I don't spray usually.
I experimented with inorganic potting mixes and now I use one mix for all of my Paphs - Seramis and broken LECA clay balls. I mix them by emotion maybe 60/40 or 50/50. Due to the inorganic medium I don't repot (I'm a lazy bone). Some of my Paphs have grown in this mix since five years now.

No Istvan, these plant flowered in my collection for the second time, first time in 2011. This is the mislabled plant. Different German vendors/nurseries offer violascens.

Rebloom a violascens! You are a magicman!
Papuanum= zieckianum, violascens a different spec. but many sellers sell it as "papuanum".

Back