Paph villosum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolfDog1 (C. Williams)

Reaction score
My Paph villosum. It was NOT pulled for judging at the November judging.....dammit. I really like it. I also like the dorsal and how it is not quite like other villosum. The color is pretty correct, which I also like.

Craig

No. I'm a member of 2 local OS here in Oregon. There was apparently some rift between some of the members of one society and they split into a 2nd society. We meet on the 3rd and 4th Tuesdays of each month. The monthly judging(s) that I go to are 1st Sunday of the month in Oregon and the 3rd Saturday of the month in Washington.

Do they ever say why it's not pulled for judging? Would it be proper etiquette to ask, after all it is a learning experience?

Craig,

I like your Paph villosum for color. The dorsal sepal pinches in the middle with the effect of waving forward. The rest of the flower is pretty typical for the species. I would have to see it in person to determine the overall effect and size. Perhaps it is a bit small and needs to grow up also?

It is easy to be critical of judges who have seen more of these plants over the years than most people. For a Paph villosum to get an award, it has to be very impressive.

Our judges are GREAT. I'm sure it was not awardable for more than just one reason. 1 would be the size.....it does need to get bigger. Another would be the strange dorsal. It does exactly as you say with the pinching effect.
I just like it because it is a little different. The 'dammit' was just because I really like it....not a slant on our judges. If something doesn't get pulled for judging at our monthly meetings, I am completely confident that there are good reasons for that. I'd love to have an exceptional villosum, but for now mine is just pretty good. Next year it should be better. I'm just not sure I want the dorsal to be different (and thus awardable) because I kind of like that part of it.

Craig

One suggestion I would make is to research your plants before you take them into judging to get an idea of how they compare to prior awards.

You are right about the flower possibly blooming next time. These things can be variable over time. Also, a larger plant with multiple blooms will give you a much better chance if the blooms are of good quality.

Even if it isn't awardable, it certainly is a nice flower.....

No. I'm a member of 2 local OS here in Oregon. There was apparently some rift between some of the members of one society and they split into a 2nd society. We meet on the 3rd and 4th Tuesdays of each month. The monthly judging(s) that I go to are 1st Sunday of the month in Oregon and the 3rd Saturday of the month in Washington.

You drive to both monthly judgings? that must be a lot of driving!

I do some months. I've recently moved to Oregon from Seattle and so I've only been to the Oregon site twice. I've been going to the Tacoma, WA site for a couple of years it seems....maybe 1 1/2 years or so. There are usually nice plants....both awardable and not awardable. It's nice to learn how judges screen plants. It is a lot of driving somtimes, but worth it as the judges in my area are really great and let you ask them questions and are very nice. They are a great group of people. Also, observing the process is sometimes very interesting.

Craig

Latest posts

Back