Paph. villosum ('Candor XL' AM/AOS x 'Marriott Colorburst')

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue

evil genius
Reaction score
This is a second-blooming seedling, still in a 2 1/2" pot, with two growths. This year the shape is improved (a wider stance. almost senatorial, really) over first bloom, but the size is about the same. Dorsal to synsepal, along the back, at 14cm, with a N.S. this year of around 11cm. Color in first bloom was much nicer; much deeper. Although, actually, I think that may be due to the fact that the first bloom pics, unlike these, were from immediately after opening -- you can tell because the dorsal hadn't yet recurved in the first bloom pics.

Any views on whether more or less light produces deeper color in Paphs?

Click for full-size pics.

last year/first bloom:

I can't speak for light, but I can say that cooler temperatures do produce darker flowers, in at least some paphs. My haynaldianum always has more color when the flowers bloom cool, and my old (since deceased) fairrieanum "giganteum" (which was gigantic only in the length of the stalk) used to bloom with a nearly solid red dorsal if kept cold...simply white with some red stripes when bloomed warm. Take care, Eric

Sue, very nice flowering- good color and stance. I would measure and check against the stats for previously awarded clones. Do you grow in a greenhouse or under lights?
Jim

Thanks for the advice on temperatures!

I grow outside in the summer, and then usually overwinter indoors under lights. This year, though, my new employer had some greenhouse space free, so they're under glass for the winter.

In terms of measurements, it's right around the same size as the AM-awarded parent. I just looked up info. I guess I could bring it to the Carolinas Judging Center on Saturday.

Latest posts

Back