Paph. vietnamense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul

Reaction score
Second bloom, second flower (1 old at the back, 1 other bud opening)
This one is quite huge (12cm natural size)

vietnamensepaulfz3.jpg

The first flower:

vietnaturalqu8.jpg

well, the second flower is bigger, 12.5cm natural size in fact :)

Paul.

Looks like they came from the great German breeding line.
I love it very, very much

Very impressive. It must be very happy! How do you grow it? what kind of media do you use? Lighting? Thanks

It's still in rockwool (growcubes), temperate-warm, light-shade, and I fertilize about 100ppm of Nitrogen.

Hmmm... Rockwool.... How big are the cubes? I might consider giving it a try. Do you grow under artificial lights? Fluorescent or HID? Thanks

self

Recessive alba gene! Should do a selfing. This one more likely will produce very high percentage of pure albas. Such a lucky one!

Recessive alba gene! Should do a selfing. This one more likely will produce very high percentage of pure albas. Such a lucky one!

If it was a purely recessive allele, then you wouldn't see it in the phenotype. Even if it WAS heterozygous for an album allele, you would still only get about 25% album offspring, not a "very high percentage."

Well, I don't really think of a "half-albino" but I could try to cross it with a pure alba in the future.
It's very easy to know if a vietnamese is pure alba or not (even for tiny plants), leaves are green at the under side and not dark.

Latest posts

Back