Paph vietnamense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P.K.Hansen

Reaction score
First bloom once again, so there's still hope :D
I'm disappointed in the shape and the color of the lip, but maybe next time.
48981498621_b86e0c0810_c.jpg

Værsgo Jens :p
49008877547_dab24c7f40_c.jpg

It's different for sure, but I suspect lots of people would love something this unique. Personally, I'm with you, I like more traditional and more consistently colored pouches. The shape will hopefully improve a bit, but I am a fan of floppy flowers, so it wouldn't bug me at all.

Just asking only. Could that ripple effect in the leaves be related to watering method or water schedule? Maybe just needed more water during the flower opening stage. Asking only.

Thank you for the in-toto pic, Per!

If my memory doesn't fail me, you acquired the plant somewhat earlier this year? If right, I would keep in mind, that the onset to the flowering was quite some way back in time - thus regarding the shape of the flower, you might get a much better result, when the plant is firmly established and has accomodated to your growing regime.

Regarding the lip colour, I tend to be with you in finding it more 'unique' and 'interesting' than, actually, what you - I - would dream of!

Kind regards,
Jens

The bark and spaghnum is looking a bit dry in the opening photo. Could that be the reason?

Another trick (seriously - not joking) could be to use a cleverly constructed jig or structure, fitted with soft components that very gently holds portions of the tepals in place - or keeps folded bits upright/fanned out. And - hopefully - when the flower 'sets', then the flower structure stays in place, or stays more in place. It's kind of like using our own fingers to intervene and hold things in place for a while ...... except, we need to have a solution that keeps things in place for a much longer period of time (rather than say 5 mins) before releasing it to see if form gets retained.

I was actually thinking of doing something like this - if possible - with cattleya columns .... to prevent the column (side-lobes) from splaying out. Some catts have a tendency to do that. Natural - but I kind of like side-lobes that are not splayed out.

I wouldn't be surprised if people have tried this already. I haven't tried yet.

Last edited:
It's still opening it seems. Not good, but better :)
49019359348_b9da2a53bf_c.jpg
I actually like it a lot more because of the special contrast (almost) white pouch , most other vietnamense have pink pouch only . This one is very different and quite unique, you should self this one, some of the result children maybe with pure contrast white pouch.
Do you remember the story of the original yellow besseae, story is this buyer, she got extremely disappointed and upset when her besseae bloomed yellow and not red as other besseaes that she saw in Popow nursery, so she brought it back to Nebojscha demanded for an exchange. He was more than thrilled to comply with her wish. From what I heard that was the only yellow besseae existed, and it became the original ancestor of all of the various shades & sizes & shapes of the yellow besseae we see now.
Just count how many white pouch you see in this paph vietnamense image search
https://www.google.com/search?q=pap...7tXlAhWItVkKHb52BggQ_AUIEigB&biw=1272&bih=872
The answer is close to none.
Always look out for the different one out of the mass of sameness .
That said, below is a very nice one, is is pink but not a common pink either, like your near white pouch it is a very different pink
http://www.hungsheng.com.tw/index.php?module=product&mn=1&f=content&tid=170465

Last edited:
It's still opening it seems. Not good, but better :)
49019359348_b9da2a53bf_c.jpg

I always thing P. vietnamense looks like a dowdy old drag queen wearing way too much rouge and this one bumps that impression up with the addition of a vampiric dribble down her sagging pale chin! I love it!!!!! It’s wildness, lushness, endless variation and uniqueness that attract us to orchids, I think. This one is very strange and all the more beautiful for it.

I think that we should not allow weak single growth plants to flower. Particularly if it has older leaves that are not in perfect health and colour. They will reach a tipping point as the plant uses it's reserves in a desperate effort to flower. The flowers will be sub-par and the plant will weaken further. Pull out the bud as soon as you can take hold of it. The plant will thank you later.
I had a single growth vietnamense which aborted it's first flower. The growth after that was very fast and bigger. That also aborted due to me moving the plant into a different position. That growth now has 2 shoots on the way and no doubt they will mature in one season.

The rippling on the leaf margins is normal.

Thanks for mentioning that! I still have a couple of years to go before my vietnamense reaches flowering size. Growing nicely in 100% scoria...... along with my other paphs and phrags .... 100% scoria ... locally sourced Quincan gravel.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input.
I'll cut the flower today.

I personally wouldn't cut it. In nature - in the wild - nobody is going to be there to cut a flower or bud. It's flowered anyway, and it looks nice and individual. I'd just leave it.

The energy has been expended already for producing this flower, so it's not going to make any difference now. What stone was saying was related to cutting the bud or spike growth - when it first started. Early stage - not at this advanced stage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back