Paph vietnamense alba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakkai

Reaction score
I was very happy to come home with this precious little thing from the Bournemouth Orchid Society Show on Saturday.

Here is a photo of the plant & one of it in comparison to the other vietnamense seedlings...

Attachments

• vietnamense_alba.jpg
    vietnamense_alba.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 95
  • vietnamense_seedlings.jpg
    vietnamense_seedlings.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 99
Congrats Shannan to your new acquisition - this Paph is still very rare and precious.
Hopefully we will see this plant flowering in few years time. Good luck!!

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Last edited:
That IS precious. And look at all those regular vietnamense! This species is very hard to come by in these parts... I just got my first two seedlings this past weekend.

Hi Rudolf, Its Shannan, not Jim... but yes, I am really looking forward to seeing what the flower is like! I've not seen even photos of it. Anyone know of any?

Also, does anyone know if this is really that much smaller a plant normally? My smallest regular seedling is about 4"LS, and this is just barely 2"LS, yet it has two growths...

I'm sensing a vietnamense addiction. Lovely-looking plants, this species is just gorgeous even when it's not flowering.

Yes, Elena, you are so right! The leaves are the most beautiful dark mottled shiny things... It helps give me patience waiting for seedlings to mature to bloom size!

...Hi Rudolf, Its Shannan, not Jim... but yes, I am really looking forward to seeing what the flower is like! I've not seen even photos of it. Anyone know of any?...

Hi Shannan, sorry for mixing up your name. Here is a link to a photo as a reward http://www.slipperorchids.info/paphspecies/Paphvietnamense(fma)album1.jpg
There used to be another photo on the website of Popow orchids and Mr. Popow also sold seedlings last year. But he doesn't offer them anymore and the photo has been taken from his site.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Last edited:
Hi Rudolf, Its Shannan, not Jim... but yes, I am really looking forward to seeing what the flower is like! I've not seen even photos of it. Anyone know of any?

Also, does anyone know if this is really that much smaller a plant normally? My smallest regular seedling is about 4"LS, and this is just barely 2"LS, yet it has two growths...

It maybe two seedlings that grow so closed that the seller did not want to seperate them in fear that they die.

That is beautiful! Thank you, Rudolf! I've got some time to go before my plant is big enough to bloom, but you'll all have to be patient with me!

I see a fellow vietnamense enthusiast! I love the foliage of them :drool:

I'm going to try and guess... I see two vietnamense from Burnhams, one from Ratcliffe's, are two from Popow? Any good?:poke::poke:

Dan :rollhappy:

:rollhappy: Now that's a fanatic!!:poke:

Able to tell where the tags are from!

You are right about the 2 from Burham and 1 from Ratcliffe. There are three from Popow (the three largest plants). I don't think these larger seedlings are the ones on the website, but in my opinion, it is worth checking if he has any of the large ones still available. They are really nicely grown plants, and they have just kept on growing without missing a beat.

:) Elena just may get a piece if that is the case!

Yay! :D

Hopefully by then I'll know how to flower the regular one. Mine's from Popow too, has one large growth (8-9 leaves?) and one smaller one. It's been growing well but no buds yet.

that's surely a very rare species!!!

Very slow growing compared with the regular form. I have one and it's not that easy to grow! Good luck and hope for the best! ;-)

Latest posts

Back