Paph venustum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First-bloom seedling from Dave Sorokowsky @ Paph Paradise. Not fully open, but with the kids here for Thanksgiving, I might not get another shot.

I opened the gray background on one of my programs, so used my monitor as the background. Image is straight off the camera, except for resizing.

Paph_venustum600.png

Beautiful flower. Mine is in bud too. Haven't seen the flower yet, since it blasted last year. Wouldn't mind colors like that :)

Stunning. Mine blasted again this year. Had 2 spikes, never opened after months.

Why? Why ? Why?

Stunning. Mine blasted again this year. Had 2 spikes, never opened after months.

Why? Why ? Why?

that seems very weird considering how vigorous and easy they seem to be for me...what’s your culture? How do you keep the humidity? Mine are kind of water-sponges, always the first to dry out. I took sphagnum and tucked it all around the growths and water when it dries out, probably twice as often as all my other Paphiopedilum, including delenatii and volonteanum. I’m growing indoors, windows only, Chicago apartment. I want you to succeed...venustem is such a sight to behold in person.

Do you have any pics of the entire plant? Venustum’s are my favorite species. I have about 20 of them in my collection. Many crosses, as well as many different straight “wild” strains, if you will... my Venustum’s all flourish!! I grow all mine inside the house in a west window, with a cold air humidifier. I keep it around 50-60% humidity during the day and around 40-45% at night. Most are in a mix of 25% small Orchiata, 25% #3 perlite, and 50% New Zealand sphagnum moss, all in Rand’s Air Cone pots. I have a couple in the same mix, but with added portion of peat moss and those do great too. And one in fine CHC, and that one grows like crazy, but I find it requires being watered A LOT more!!

Why? Why ? Why?
Probably kept them too dry... I’ve found that my venustum’s require a lot of water all year long.

Good advice. I will have to check that my venustum albums get water consistently.
I may also have to top my paph collection with moss as my growing areas get very dry (40% humidity most of the time).
Luckily my malipoense bud is still developing nicely and should open in a week or two.

Do you have any pics of the entire plant? Venustum’s are my favorite species. I have about 20 of them in my collection. Many crosses, as well as many different straight “wild” strains, if you will... my Venustum’s all flourish!! I grow all mine inside the house in a west window, with a cold air humidifier. I keep it around 50-60% humidity during the day and around 40-45% at night. Most are in a mix of 25% small Orchiata, 25% #3 perlite, and 50% New Zealand sphagnum moss, all in Rand’s Air Cone pots. I have a couple in the same mix, but with added portion of peat moss and those do great too. And one in fine CHC, and that one grows like crazy, but I find it requires being watered A LOT more!!

Thanks for all the advice. It is upstairs in my ‘cool’ room at best 50% humidity. I spritz or splash it daily along with my phrags. Light is combination of lights and east window. Time for a humidifier I guess. Was so excited with 2 spikes then the flowers never opened. Will add more moss to the mix too. Thanks again!

Thanks for all the advice. It is upstairs in my ‘cool’ room at best 50% humidity. I spritz or splash it daily along with my phrags. Light is combination of lights and east window. Time for a humidifier I guess. Was so excited with 2 spikes then the flowers never opened. Will add more moss to the mix too. Thanks again!
i will say, I grew and flowered all my venustum’s and most Paph’s for that matter without a humidifier in the home for years! Light, media, and watering are way more important. The added humidity just makes them a bit happier

Latest posts

Back