Paph venustum from S.Himalaya of Tibet

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful! Is there a link to nursery?
there are two Ngoc Lan which I am aware of , for what I understand any nurseries or individuals can buy and sell any orchids/plants (whether from forest harvested by minority tribal peoples or artificially raised) freely and legally within Vietnam . The only places peoples are not allowed to harvest plants/animals are the special set aside National Reserve Parks.
this one is an orchid nursery
https://www.facebook.com/ngoclanvien181dinhthon/posts/426161864191747/
there is a translation button at the end of the vietnamese article, however the translation is by machine so you have to be aware of the nuance for example in Vietnamese the term "Chơi hoa lan" word for word or mot a` mot it is "playing flower orchid" however to be what it really means , a human translator would say " orchid collecting hobby"
this one I am not sure
https://www.facebook.com/orchid.ngoclan
the flowery style names sake such as "Ngoc Lan" translated as "jade orchid" or other orchids are popular, so it may not indicate a nursery.

Last edited:
That's awful. Did this guy with the red pouch venustum move and live in Germany?
Seems like the stories of Germany raids of nurseries is not an isolated incident.
I have to say:
why?
he is a Chinese, who lives in China, if my assumption is correct, the rule in China and other Southeast Asians countries might not be too different from Vietnam, which is perfectly normal to own or purchase orchids harvested from forest by the local peoples (with exception of national parks) when I was young in Vietnam, I remember my own grand father and my uncle have overhead treillis structure full of forest orchid plants, once a year at the blooming season, my uncle would make a trek to the highland to hunt and buy orchids from the highland tribal peoples .
Someone in Germany, report a Chinese person who lives and collect orchids in china to the German Police no less, is a little bit over the top.

Last edited:
I don’t think it was Popow with this red pouch venustums?
neither do i, for one thing, if Mr. Boscha has one of these tibetan orchids, he would have selfing it to generate thousand of plants to be available for everyone already by now.

Someone in Germany reported him.

" Vietnam, which is perfectly normal to own or purchase orchids harvested from forest by the local peoples (with exception of national parks) " . correct

there are two Ngoc Lan which I am aware of , for what I understand any nurseries or individuals can buy and sell any orchids/plants (whether from forest harvested by minority tribal peoples or artificially raised) freely and legally within Vietnam . The only places peoples are not allowed to harvest plants/animals are the special set aside National Reserve Parks.
this one is an orchid nursery
https://www.facebook.com/ngoclanvien181dinhthon/posts/426161864191747/
there is a translation button at the end of the vietnamese article, however the translation is by machine so you have to be aware of the nuance for example in Vietnamese the term "Chơi hoa lan" word for word or mot a` mot it is "playing flower orchid" however to be what it really means , a human translator would say " orchid collecting hobby"
this one I am not sure
https://www.facebook.com/orchid.ngoclan
the flowery style names sake such as "Ngoc Lan" translated as "jade orchid" or other orchids are popular, so it may not indicate a nursery.
Thanks for the links. The first one had great hangianums and jackii albums.

Political differences in collection of wild orchids by natives is a very controversial topic. It is a practice that is done regardless of world view. The only way to spin a positive narrative is that hopefully those orchids are saved and propagated by responsible orchidophiles.

Latest posts

Back