Paph (Varvara 'Searles' x spicerianum)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a small growing plant. Varvara is fairrieanum x Clair de Lune.

PaphVarvaraxspicerianum1.jpg

Interesting flower and pouch plus also it has a prettiness about it but I ask WHY??? would anyone make a cross like this !!!

Excellent question. Not being the hybridizer, I can only speculate. I purchased two out of curiosity and the fact that they are very tiny and were in bud. This one has a seven inch leaf span, tip to tip. The other has a three and one half inch leaf span and is in bud. Both are multi-growth plants.

Hmmm. The color of Varvara shows through with mostly the shape of spicerianum. Since I love Varvara, I probably would have been interested in it too. But, yes, I doubt I would have considered crossing the two.

Just thinking about this plant and its size plus color, it might just be the right plant to cross with P. barbigerum or tranlienianum to add some color to them whilest retaining the small plants size. Don't think it will do anything for the shape but it may not matter if the colors good.

Just thinking about this plant and its size plus color, it might just be the right plant to cross with P. barbigerum or tranlienianum to add some color to them whilest retaining the small plants size. Don't think it will do anything for the shape but it may not matter if the colors good.

It might take a couple generations before this cross shows its usefulness. As for now, I'm not even sure what the next step might be, if there even is one. One possibility would be Paph Red Beauty 'Bion'.
PaphRedBeautyBion.jpg

Red Beauty looks like a good possibility. It certainly could add color to barbigerum or tranlienianum, yikes, but the shape!

Latest posts

Back