Paph Vanda M Pearman

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like how you managed the double flower staking David. I've always tried like so many to stake the second higher. Next time I'll let it drop!
It's a beauty even as a granny(hybrid)!

I like how you managed the double flower staking David. I've always tried like so many to stake the second higher. Next time I'll let it drop!
It's a beauty even as a granny(hybrid)!

Yes, staking the 2nd flower higher will never work. It needs to sit below the first flower. Even still the 2nd flower will naturally fall to the side so that it won't display well. So I had to do some creative staking to get the flower to sit where it is. Next time I will train the 2nd flower early so that it sits in perfect alignment with the top flower.

That is really lovely. The form and the markings are near perfect. I'm surprised that the speckling is so strong, since the bella parent is an album (no spots) and the delenatii is a regular pink (of course, no spots). I guess the spots are there on a bella album, they're just the same colour as the background; but, they are present. When crossed with a coloured flower (in this case a regular delenatii), the colour dominates and it "colours" the genes that makes the bella spots, thereby making them visible.

That is really lovely. The form and the markings are near perfect. I'm surprised that the speckling is so strong, since the bella parent is an album (no spots) and the delenatii is a regular pink (of course, no spots). I guess the spots are there on a bella album, they're just the same colour as the background; but, they are present. When crossed with a coloured flower (in this case a regular delenatii), the colour dominates and it "colours" the genes that makes the bella spots, thereby making them visible.

That makes sense to me John.

I wonder if the delenatii parent carried the alba gene, so that some seedlings from the cross would be pure alba. I bought this plant many years ago and I can't recall if that was the case. Personally I just prefer to have the spots.

Back