Paph usitanum (= parnatanum?)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanLux

Reaction score
I bought this plant in febr. 2007 as usitanum from Roellke. Others would say, it is parnatanum: whatever, this is its first bloom, starting to open more than 1 week ago. I hope it will open some more :):eek::)! Jean

Dear Rudolph,
I agree with you, it is an appletonianum-hybrid.

With the name it is very clear.
William Cavestro was faster in the publishing of his description with the name Paph. parnatanum.
Our description was ready half an year before, but we had difficulties with our journal and so the description as Paph. usitanum comes too late.
So the name Paph. parntanum is now the official name, usitanum only a synonym.

Best greetings

Olaf

Sorry for the Christmas disappointment but that's what I intended to say. In my eyes one parent is from the Paph appletonianum/bulleanum complexe....

Thanks Rudolf, thanks Olaf!! It is not really a disappointment; I just started to like this somewhat fragile flower :):)!

But it is unfortunately only another example that one cannot rely on tags for plant identif.! Here, I had precisely ordered a paph. usitanum / parnatanum!!! Jean

Dear Rudolph,
I agree with you, it is an appletonianum-hybrid.

With the name it is very clear.
William Cavestro was faster in the publishing of his description with the name Paph. parnatanum.
Our description was ready half an year before, but we had difficulties with our journal and so the description as Paph. usitanum comes too late.
So the name Paph. parntanum is now the official name, usitanum only a synonym.

Best greetings

Olaf

Hello Olaf and Rudolf,
Appletonianum occurs from Viet Nam, Loas and Thailand. Parnatanum washes however in Philippine. As comes the Pollen from the Appletonianum to Philippine?. I believe rather a Argus variant

Dear Hakone,
I think it was not a natural hybrid. Perhaps there was only a mistake in the labeling of the flask and then of the seedlings.

Best greetings

Olaf

Jean it may turnout to be cervenianum(sp?) and a good one if so. Lets see when the flower matures.

The majority of taxonomists don't accept P. cerveranum as good species and therefore the name P. cerveranum is synonym to P. appletonianum.
But furthermore the colouration of the striped dorsal and the striking hairy warts at the upper edge of the petals remind me to a ppletonianum/bulleanum hybrid (perhaps with P. callosum).
Best regards from Germany, rudolf

The cross with callosum would be aPaph. Siamense. It is different with this plant. It is also not similar to the narural hybrid Paph. x mattesii, the cross between bullenianum and barbatum.
It could be a cross with superbiens or ciliolare. The crosses of appletonianum, bullenianum and cerveranum are very similar.

Best greetings

Olaf

Jean it may turnout to be cervenianum(sp?) and a good one if so. Lets see when the flower matures.

Unfortunately, it looks as if the flower matured much too fast, the petals totally recurved. I think to cut off the spike and give the plant another chance!?

thanks for the possible ids!!!

Jean

I like this one whatever it is. I did take a photo of a plant at the London Orchid Show in March this year that is similar to yours and was also labelled P. usitanum ... can't remember who's display it was though.
usitanumjm5.jpg

I like this one whatever it is. I did take a photo of a plant at the London Orchid Show in March this year that is similar to yours and was also labelled P. usitanum ... can't remember who's display it was though.

Thanks a lot for that pict.!! this flower is nearer to mine than to the real parnatanum that olaf and rudolf showed us!! Maybe I should contact lutz roellke about possible origin! Jean

Latest posts

Back