Paph usitanum (= parnatanum?)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a Paph. parnatanum a few years now. But when I looked on the leaves it dosn´t agree with what Lance A Birk writes about the parnatanum. My plant is in bud, so the future will till me more.

I also have an usitanum bought from Röllke that ended up just like yours. I really like the flower, but it's definitely not what I expected.

Unfortunately, it looks as if the flower matured much too fast, the petals totally recurved. I think to cut off the spike and give the plant another chance!?

thanks for the possible ids!!!

Jean

It´s flexing the petals like urbanianum

Last edited by a moderator:
The plant from JeanLux has nothing to do with the true Paph. parnatanum. Just now only few plants of this species, which I described a bit late as Paph. usitanum, are in culture.
Here some pictures of two plants of this species:

Paphiopedilumparnatanum2009-03-05a.jpg

Paphiopedilumparnatanum2009-03-05aS.jpg

Paphiopedilumparnatanum2009-03-05b0.jpg

Paphiopedilumparnatanum2009-03-05b1.jpg

Best greetings

Olaf

Jun Golamco
says about usitanum and parnatum that it is BS.

I'm only citing him:rollhappy:

I have seen large batches of parnatanum twice, one in Thailand, and another time in Indonesia at Parnata farm (maybe 3000 or 4000 clumps, it was absolutely massive, came from the Philippines weeks before). There has been selfings sold several years ago that turned out to be true to the species in Germany ( not those ones obviously), it was traded by the O'Javier family, and the first batch was said to be ciliolare. They collected a big stockpile of them, then they disappeared from everywhere, but it is clearly a valid species/variety.

Thanks a lot for that pict.!! this flower is nearer to mine than to the real parnatanum that olaf and rudolf showed us!! Maybe I should contact lutz roellke about possible origin! Jean

I would for sure since it looks like the confusion is spreading far and wide on the internet and in greenhouses.

I would for sure since it looks like the confusion is spreading far and wide on the internet and in greenhouses.
I think Jay should just dump the picture on orchidspecies as the website is one of the top results for the plant.

Latest posts

Back