Paph. unnamed

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotsomerice

Reaction score
Here is mine first bloom seedling.
Paph. Sierra Skyline x S. Gratrix
Beautiful leaves, but the flower is average.:eek:

Attachments

• SSxSG.jpg
    SSxSG.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 44
....Beautiful leaves, but the flower is average.:eek:
I like it and I wouldn't say it in this way it's like always in life every single person gets their own subjective impression and in the end -- beauty/or average is in the eye of the beholder. :) :(
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

At least from the photo I would say the flower is much better than just average. You have no notching in the petals, your dorsal sepal is wide enough that there are no open spaces between the dorsal and the petals. Spotting is clean, without bleeding color. And most inportant there is no twist in the flower, Pouch and dorsal ore on the same vertical line.

I have found there is often a dramatic improvement in flower size between the blooming on a single growth plant and the blooming on a 3 or 4 growth plant. I would keep watering it for a few more years and see how much it improves.

Thanks for the tips Leo. I am about to sell this guy.:p
Maybe I'll wait few more years. It actually is a vigorous grower. It already has two new growths about half the size of the growth that is flowering. The flower has NS of 6.5 cm.

Attachments

• SSxSG02.jpg
    SSxSG02.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 16
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Sure has some other attributes to make it worth holding on to!

Herb, Your plant looks great, and if it is vigorous for you, all the more reason to keep it. Vigorous growers tend to rebloom easy, a trait that may be more important as a hobby grower than AOS award qualities. Who cares if a plant is award quality if it rarely blooms. The plant that is vigorous in your conditions is the one that will be the reliable bloomer. But if you do want to sell it, PM me or put it in for a SlipperTalk fund raiser auction. Either way I would bid on it.

Latest posts

Back