Paph u.g. (Candy Apple x Hung Sheng Bay)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayeL

Reaction score
Hi

I have a very nice 1st flowering vini that has been in flower for over 3 weeks. I love the colour, but the tips of both petals are pinched. Each petal has created a tight forward roll from the top and bottom edge to create this pinched appearance. This picture was taken 2 weeks ago but the rolls have never given any indication of unfurlling. If anything, they appear to be slightly tighter.

Is this hereditary, or a 1st flowering hiccup/glitch?

Paph (Candy Apple x Hung Sheng Bay) 20220307.jpg

I would love to use the pollen from this plant - but I'm concerned that it may throw this trait to its progeny.

JL

I would give it a go.

Unlike here in the northern hemisphere you can grow outside and are not limited by space. You can afford to raise a few rejects.

The trait you are worried about is quite rare, implying the bad luck combination of rare alleles. If you cross onto a better quality flower I would guess that you won't see many progeny with the same faults.

Give it a go and, at worst, use it as an opportunity to learn about the breeding process.

Latest posts

Back