Paph Tringiense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting. Not the flower I would have expected.
Mad, I think your statement is put maybe a wee bit too circumspect.

I like the flower, but if I'm allowed to be more blunt, I guess, what Mad, actually, is trying to convey is: this can in no way be P. Tringiense, i.e. the primary hybrid of P. barbatum x P. rothschildianum! This for a lot of reasons, but to name one very conspicous one: neither of the parents of that cross has the twirling spiraling, that the petals of your flowers exhibits distantly (dianthum/parishii-influence?).

No matter the identification of the plant, I can understand, why you are happy about it flowering - as saith the poet: "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" (Romeo and Juliet, 2, II)!

Last edited:
Mad, I think your statement is put maybe a wee bit too circumspect.

I like the flower, but if I'm allowed to be more blunt, I guess, what Mad, actually, is trying to convey is: this can in no way be P. Tringiense, i.e. the primary hybrid of P. barbatum x P. rothschildianum! This for a lot of reasons, but to name one very conspicous one: neither of the parents of that cross has the twirling spiraling, that the petals of your flowers exhibits distantly (dianthum/parishii-influence?).
You are correct that I did not express my doubts directly. With those leaves Paph barbatum may be a parent, but so could many other species. I don't see much barbatum or roth in the flower. Not with that staminode, the twisted petals or the glossiness. And where did the dorsal spots come from?

can't comment on possible other names/parentage than provided by my friend,,, but i agree that the dorsal looks like it has some gratrixianum influence and the spiralling petals would seem to parent with that as influence... maybe the staminode provides some better clues...

After poking around a little. Barbatum on villosum has a very similar stance... couldn't find any photos of gratrixianum on barbatum... and the other photos I found of tringiense certainly aren't similar... funny that since this came from (essentially) my mentor since 1987ish, I never even thought to question what I was looking at...

Thanx for the challenge. :)

Last edited:
Back