Paph Treeville Brocade

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
I picked this one up back in 2001 from Outhay Vingkhou, sight unseen, I relied on a verbal description. It is unusual in that it has spots on dorsal and the petals (without going to henryanum in the breeding) The first time it bloomed I was disappointed in the lack of intense color, but it does have spots. The dorsal consistiently is cupped, so this flower does not flatten out as much as I would like. Also, like so many of the large flowered complex Paphs, it will through freaky flowers on a regular basis. This year I had one normal and one freaky flower. Still, I like this clone, even though it is not a very intensely colored flower. Note how much the color can varied from 2008 to 2009, it got much more intense this year.

First December 2009

Treeville Brocade FS341-2009a.jpg

Second the same plant January 2008

Treeville Brocade FS341a.jpg

Nice Leo. That colour difference is amazing. There is almost no red on the previous flowering. It is hard to believe it is the same clone.

David

I agree, the difference is very interesting. Very nice flowers though, I wouldn't say 'no' to owning it.

Interesting color pattern from yr to yr Leo. I wonder if it's directly related to the freaky flower gene as well?

Looks like 2 different plants! I'd keep it for sure! I like the colors and the spots! The plant makes you wonder what it is going to do next year!

It IS the same plant, you often hear how culture can affect flower quality, in this case it is fairly dramatic. I used to have Paph Hellas 'Westonbirt' FCC/AOS. When it bloomed I thought the flowers were nothing special, I could not see how it ever got awarded. Then I went to the Minniapolis Winter Fest Orchid Show and saw Warton Sincler's complex Paphs on display. Most of his were big enough that 5 growth plants were filling 1 or 2 gallon nursery cans. The flower on his Hellas 'Westonbirt' was HUGE, and every bit as large, and full and colorful, enough so that it was easy to see how it got awarded, and it was up there even against today's standards. I will probably hang on to the Treeville Brocade for a while longer, and see if I can improve culture enough to get an award quality blooming.

While it may never reach award quality, it is still a pleasing flower and has shown a dramatic improvement in color from one bloom to the next. I appears to be fairly vigorous. It would be quite a display if you could get 5 or more flowers at a time.

Latest posts

Back