paph. trantuanii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Olaf, So you agree Paph hrantuanhii is a valid species? About the blackish one, I'm very interested in it! Especially if it turns out to be a species. It's so small and unique with the greenish/white synsepal, broad white border on the dorsal and blaskish/purple the rest of it

The dark one is very unique. Very cool:drool:

Those little black ones were posted here, as I recall....I think by Lance Birk....it was about a year or so ago....Eric

Thank you for showing the pictures.
I would never know such thing exist.
I have to brace myself again the back of the chair so I would not fall off swooning at the little black one.:crazy:

Is it possible that those little black ones are just blasted buds? the more I look at them, the more they look like dead buds that I've opened up...granted, those tend to be more brownish, and this is more purplish...but still....? Take care, Eric

Is it possible that those little black ones are just blasted buds? the more I look at them, the more they look like dead buds that I've opened up...granted, those tend to be more brownish, and this is more purplish...but still....? Take care, Eric

These flowers look pretty fresh.
What flower would you propose it is? which of the current paph would produce that color bud? if not something new?

These flowers look pretty fresh.
What flower would you propose it is? which of the current paph would produce that color bud? if not something new?
Eric, good point the flowers do look "peeled" open but Hien's point is valid too. Another possibilty is they are inmature hybrid flowers peeled open. The web site made no mention of the flowers only the pic was posted. To me they look like they have a hint of purpuratum in their back ground.

Eric, good point the flowers do look "peeled" open but Hien's point is valid too. Another possibilty is they are inmature hybrid flowers peeled open. The web site made no mention of the flowers only the pic was posted. To me they look like they have a hint of purpuratum in their back ground.

In my opinion this are simply Paph. coccineum or paph helenae(dark colonies) immature buds opened.
I had few dark coccineum that have lost the stem(eaten by unknown coleopter or mouse) and so I opened the remaining bud to see what inside....+ or - I had the same result in the photo...

It is really a curious discussion.
All speculations in the net based on the same picture which I get from Vietnam and which I placed in the net. The picture was made on a market in Vietnam.
The flowers lokk really unique and different to helenae and coccineum. I have thought at first that it is a miniature form of Paph. callosum
Let us wait, perhaps in the next years the species will be found again, then we will get more informations.

Best greetings

Olaf

It is really a curious discussion.
All speculations in the net based on the same picture which I get from Vietnam and which I placed in the net. The picture was made on a market in Vietnam.
The flowers lokk really unique and different to helenae and coccineum. I have thought at first that it is a miniature form of Paph. callosum
Let us wait, perhaps in the next years the species will be found again, then we will get more informations.

Best greetings

Olaf

I know very well the owner of the picture, and he told me what it was exactly :D

Just open a flower bud of paph coccineum, and you get exactly the same flower

It blooming and I hold it in my hand now (31 October 2016)

Latest posts

Back