Paph.tranlienianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenman

Reaction score
A nice smallish plant with cute whimsical clownish flowers. I found it amusing when the suggestion was made that it was a natural hybrid of hirsutissimum and spicerianum, since both the plant and the flowers are smaller than either of those, aside from the fact the staminode shows no commonality with either as well.

tranlienianumnewflower0120.jpg

tranlienianumnewflower0120.jpg

Attachments

• tranlienianumduo0120.jpg
    tranlienianumduo0120.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 16
The dark pouch is nice on this one.
Def not a hybrid between the two aforementioned species. Breeds true.

A species formed from a hybridisation can breed true.

If it was an initial hybridisation and then that cross was at an advantage in that environment and fertile it's progeny could then be selected and could, over a number of generations, produce a true breeding 'new' species that is distinct from either parent. There are lots of examples of this in nature, the cactus Echinocactus grusonii is the one that springs immediately to mind.

This process could also explain it having smaller flowers than each parent via selective pressures for smaller flowers.

Obviously a natural primary hybrid would show the expected F2 variation rather than breeding true.

And of course, this may be a valid species that arose via more conventional means and may not be any form of a hybrid - I'm just saying it is possible.

Very nice chocolate coloured P. tranlinianum, furthermore good shape and flower stance....altogether almost perfect. Congrats

A species formed from a hybridisation can breed true.

If it was an initial hybridisation and then that cross was at an advantage in that environment and fertile it's progeny could then be selected and could, over a number of generations, produce a true breeding 'new' species that is distinct from either parent. There are lots of examples of this in nature, the cactus Echinocactus grusonii is the one that springs immediately to mind.

This process could also explain it having smaller flowers than each parent via selective pressures for smaller flowers.

Obviously a natural primary hybrid would show the expected F2 variation rather than breeding true.

And of course, this may be a valid species that arose via more conventional means and may not be any form of a hybrid - I'm just saying it is possible.

We call a natural hybrid which has homogenized, formed its own population, and breeds true a SPECIES. That's how a lot of them came to be! That which is a species now may be three in 1000 years, and that which is a natural hybrid now will be a species in 1000 years. Or 10000. The real problem is humans look at a dynamic, changing picture and think it's a still life, calling the point the line. I often wonder how many current 'species' began as natural hybrids, while in the intervening time their parents' ranges have modified so that we would think it impossible for them to have crossed, or one or both of the parent species maybe even have disappeared completely.

We call a natural hybrid which has homogenized, formed its own population, and breeds true a SPECIES. That's how a lot of them came to be! That which is a species now may be three in 1000 years, and that which is a natural hybrid now will be a species in 1000 years. Or 10000. The real problem is humans look at a dynamic, changing picture and think it's a still life, calling the point the line. I often wonder how many current 'species' began as natural hybrids, while in the intervening time their parents' ranges have modified so that we would think it impossible for them to have crossed, or one or both of the parent species maybe even have disappeared completely.

Tenman, how true you are. Time is an important factor for evolution and too many people overlook this fact. As you wrote, they think they would see a static system.....but it's moving.

Last edited:
I love tranlienianum, especially the ones with green umbos on the staminode. They sometimes get nice purple colors in the petals and suffused elsewhere.

I've sent several excellent ones to the judges that were completely ignored; I sent a small weird one (lip 'open' with stigma visible) and they awarded it... :rolleyes:

Question: does this species grow more like spicerianum or more like henryanum, or helenae? I’ve never actually seen one, don’t personally know anyone growing it. It is cute.

Beautifull, little flowers...and such exquisite colouring!

It's almost as if you pinpoint the core of the controversy between creationism vs evolution theory, Tenman. Albeit, this time with a more generalized, and not necessarily religiously founded, static view on nature as one of the protagonists.

People tend to forget Darwins longtime study of and work on orchids - and its importance for the development of his thinking and theory!

Last edited:
love this species and especially your plant...

question...

from where did you get those wonderful glue on yellow staminodes? :)

Question: does this species grow more like spicerianum or more like henryanum, or helenae? I’ve never actually seen one, don’t personally know anyone growing it. It is cute.

Couldn't say. I'm growing them all the same and they all three bloom for me.

Latest posts

Back