Paph tranlieanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myxodex

Reaction score
Although not one of my favourite species I bought this two-growth plant this summer. Both growths flowered but have taken an age to open out ... and I expected them to raise the dorsals and petals a bit more. I wonder if this plant is "exhausted" and whether I should cut the flowers off?
tran11mo.jpg

I really like this species. Gotta get my hands on one of these someday. Love the furry dorsal, and cool colors too.

My wife wants your plant. She says the flowers are darling.

How much are they?

I have to admit it has grown on me since it has flowered. The flowers are the most delicate and fragile I've seen on a slipper ... and I don't know how much of this is because a small plant has overdone things by flowering on both growths and how much it is a species characteristic. It is the first one I've seen "in the flesh" so to speak so I can make no comparisons.

Heather, there are no signs of new growths. When Brigitt has taken her photos I'll cut the spikes off.

Cheers,
Tim

myxodex said:
The flowers are the most delicate and fragile I've seen on a slipper ... and I don't know how much of this is because a small plant has overdone things by flowering on both growths and how much it is a species characteristic. Cheers, Tim
Hello Tim,

P. tranlienianum is a small species and therefore it's normal that its flowers are delicate and fragile.
But think of the fact such a small plant gets very quickly exhausted by the efforts of flowering. So cut the flowers not too late - even when it hurts !!
BTW the colour of yours is a really pretty maroon. The colour of mine is more brownish.

Best regards from Germany, GuRU

If a flask could be gotten they could be legally brought into the contry, right?

no.
it has to have the appropriate import certificates and it is very difficult (read: nearly impossible) to get fws to do the certs for newly discovered species.

Thanks GuRu,

My partener Brigitt has begged me to let her photograph first, so I'll leave them another day. As for the colour they do look slightly maroonish in winter sunshine but in other light they can look more brown with a tint of purple. Also I think the colour balance is not quite right on the old camera I use ... the staminodes are a little more yellow. This also goes for the picture of TranspicerianumXbargigerum that I recently posted as well. Brigitt is the photographer in this house so I'll post one of hers.
Cheers,
Tim

Definitely not from Vietnam, in the US....CITES signatories like Peru are OK...kovachii was discovered long after tranlienianum, but flasks are legal here...but Vietnam isn't a formal CITES signatory (at least in the US interpretation) so even flasks don't have legal parents, again, in USFW interpretation...Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back