Paph tonsum var. cupreum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
A little wonky premiere bloomer that struggled to open its first flower.

Considering my complaining about the lack of colour on my Phrag, it's quite surprising that I don't mind it at all on my tonsum. I think it's because this species isn't known for being colourful, while my Phrag has the potential to be.

I'm very happy with this one, and I love the olive green/brown colour and the glossiness. It was very hard capturing the colour correctly, but I think I came pretty close.

15996182032_7aa5fba20b_b.jpg

By the way, what's the difference between tonsum var. cupreum (which doesn't seem to be an officially recognized variety) and an ordinary one?

My cellphone takes better pictures than my camera... I took this picture a couple of days ago, and now I can see where that "cupreum" comes from:
106727d1418949480-paph-tonsum-var-cupreum-tonsumvarcupreum2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice. But it looks like a typical tonsum. It shouldn't be warranted a varietal status in my opinion.

Thanks guys. I hope it'll flower better next time, although it looks kind of funny standing in its glass of water and the petals dramatically flung out to the sides. It's quite obviously inspired by its owner, looking like a drama queen. :rollhappy:

that's nice. Yours does seem lighter in colour than some - ?? hence cupreum (= copper)
I don't know if it's lighter, could be my monitor that's too dark, making me increase the light too much in the pictures. It doesn't look like a "dark" tonsum, or a light one, when comparing to pictures of other tonsum. Somewhere in the middle I would say.

Aha, is that what cupreum means? I had no idea, but the name makes sense when looking at some tonsums out there. The petals are definitely copper coloured with green markings/areas, while the pouch is more greenish.

Looks nice. But it looks like a typical tonsum. It shouldn't be warranted a varietal status in my opinion.
I've googled both and can't see any real difference. All I know is that this one was cheaper than the "regular" tonsum, even if that wasn't the reason I chose it. :rollhappy:

Cupreum refers to the reddish color on the undersides of the leaves; compared to 'David' AM/AOS and the like, which have greenish undersides, cupreum-types have very heavily pigmented leaf undersides. A similar "type" is concolor chlorophyllum, which has green leaves lacking the normal reddish pigmentation.

Very nice. Such hairy armpits too!
Shh... I forgot to shave it!

Cupreum refers to the reddish color on the undersides of the leaves; compared to 'David' AM/AOS and the like, which have greenish undersides, cupreum-types have very heavily pigmented leaf undersides. A similar "type" is concolor chlorophyllum, which has green leaves lacking the normal reddish pigmentation.
Aha, thanks for clarifying that. Then I think my tonsum is the normal variety or a cross between the two, since although it has some reddish pigmentation on the undersides of the leaves, it's not what I would describe as "heavily".

Took a picture with my cellphone and I think it might actually have captured the colour better (one of my cats left a calling card on one of the petals):

106727d1418949480-paph-tonsum-var-cupreum-tonsumvarcupreum2.jpg

Latest posts

Back