Paph tonsum or Tonsuk?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
I received this as a bonus plant from P&R Orchids when they closed up. The label says Paph Tonsuk - tonsum 'Cherry Ripe' x sukhakulii 'Robyn'. I for the life of me can't see any sukhakulii in this though. It looks to be straight tonsum. The flower is smaller than my other tonsum and the dorsal has a different shape. But superficially it looks pretty similar. I couldn't find any photos of Tonsuk on the internet, but sukhakulii is normally so dominant in hybrids.

tonsuk20122com.jpg

tonsuk2012com.jpg

Nice one, David... :D Flower looks like tonsum to me too.. Not sure about the foliage..

Yes, there is something not quite right about the leaves is there. They have a more sukhakulii look to them. They are a much lighter green than my other tonsum (even though they sit next to each other).

Yes, there is something not quite right about the leaves is there. They have a more sukhakulii look to them. They are a much lighter green than my other tonsum (even though they sit next to each other).

The flower looks like tonsum, as for the plants, it looks right too... I got wild plants quite similar to that.

In the early days, there used to be three main variants of tonsum ( but one flower), not to mention braemii.
Tonsum cupreum, with reddish leathery leaves
Tonsum tonsum, standard tonsum
Tonsum curtisiifolium, with wide floppy leaves, like a paph. superbiens/curtisii, and no red at all.

It is a very variable species to say the least...

Thanks everyone. Tonsum it is. Normally you flower out a species and it turns out to be a hybrid. This is the reverse. Tonsum was the pod parent, so I assume it may have accidently selfed.

That was my first question; but, I found out that yes it does. Google it. They all have spots all along the petal edges.

That was also the first thing I noticed on this flower. They are usually not so regular, but yes present on the petal margins to some degree.

Latest posts

Back