Paph tigrinum update

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gore42

It looks as though my first bloom is just about fully developed. I think that the dorsal may still open a bit more.... so I should give it a few days, but I had the time to take a couple of pictures, so....

paph-tigrinum1c.jpg

paph-tigrinum1d.jpg

And here's a whole plant shot.

paph-tigrinum1e.jpg

I hope the photos look ok.... I can't tell anymore on my POS monitor.

Matthew Gore

The photos are great! 3 spikes too. Is this the one you want to take to judging? What size pot do have this puppy in??

Thanks Matt. :)

This was the one I was thinking about taking to judging, but I'm not nearly as happy with this blooming as I was with the last. I think that the plant is just a little over-worked... I have three spikes now, plus two seed-pods growing on it... I think it needs a vacation. I think I'll skip judging until I'm done breeding with it.

I think that this guy is still in a 4 or 5" round pot, with around 10 growths. I'll probably repot it pretty soon. :)

- Matt

Before I read your comment Matt, I was thinking what a remarkably handsome plant it was--overall appearance, scale of spike to plant and pot; prolific--with 2 pods while it is flowering-- stuff like that. I don't know what judges go for, but this plant is a winner in every way that counts to me! If you had one for sale on your site I would snap it right up.

Equestris said:
Before I read your comment Matt, I was thinking what a remarkably handsome plant it was--overall appearance, scale of spike to plant and pot; prolific--with 2 pods while it is flowering-- stuff like that. I don't know what judges go for, but this plant is a winner in every way that counts to me! If you had one for sale on your site I would snap it right up.

...unless I beat you to it!

Matt, the photos are OK. The black in the 3rd is a little gray, so it loses contrast a bit. But the form of the flowers and plant come through loud and clear. Gorgeous!

Maba,

Thanks :) I think that probably every tigrinum is a wonderful plant... I wish that I had more to sell. I will probably have some flasks of this species ready within the next month or two (from a different cross), but I'm not sure yet whether I'll be selling the flasks or keeping them to raise. I think that the biggest issue with this current bloom is that its dorsal sepal is twisted to one side, since I grew it under metal halides this time instead of fluorescents, and it twisted towards the light. I'm probably going to move it into the shade when the next two blooms open, and hopefully they'll look better.

Dot,
Thanks for letting me know! That's exactly the problem with my old monitor... it's so dim that it displays several shades of grey as black too, so they look great to me, and when I see them on other people's computers, I'm always shocked and embarassed. It's really time for me to invest in a new one :)

- Matthew Gore

Matt,

I just acquired a Paph tigrinum seedling from Piping Rock, used my $30 AOS mag coupon, and could use tips on culture. It is in a 2" pot and leaf span is about 5", although the leaves grow up, not spread out, so it is actually larger.

Thanks

gore42 said:
Dot,
Thanks for letting me know! That's exactly the problem with my old monitor... it's so dim that it displays several shades of grey as black too, so they look great to me, and when I see them on other people's computers, I'm always shocked and embarassed. It's really time for me to invest in a new one :)

- Matthew Gore
OK -- time to rave my other love (besides husband, orchids and photography, that is): Please get a Macintosh. You won't be disappointed!

kentuckiense said:
Hey Heather, how big is your hard drive? ;)

hey, c'mon now. this is a family forum....or is it a forum family? one big dysfunctional forum family...

Carol,

For me, Paph tigrinum is an easy grower... it doesn't require any special treatment. I grow it brighter than my mottled leafed paphs, and they get pretty warm where I grow them. 85 degrees during the day is pretty common, and I water it like most of my other paphs (that is, as frequently as I can.... with lots of air movement. The medium drains well, and I wait until it is starting to get dry before I water again. In my conditions, thats about every other day, sometimes every third day... which is probably way too much for most people's conditions).

Since they tend to blast buds when the plants are small, it is especially important to only water the pot (don't spray the whole plant) when they are in sheath or you hope they might be soon :) Water around the crown seems to be a recipe for blasted buds. That's concensus around here, anyway... my conditions are dry enough that this doesnt seem to be a problem (yet).

Dot- I'm a bit of a computer geek, and I think that a Mac would drive me crazy. I haven't tried any of the newer ones that use OS X or higher, but I couldn't stand the older ones. Or the price tag! I might save my money and invest in a color management system, though.

Thanks everyone :)

Matthew Gore

gore42 said:
Dot- I'm a bit of a computer geek, and I think that a Mac would drive me crazy. I haven't tried any of the newer ones that use OS X or higher, but I couldn't stand the older ones. Or the price tag! I might save my money and invest in a color management system, though.
Well, the computer geeks I know have Macs.

If you haven't used OS X, you can't really compare it with earlier operating systems. Except that, for me, they are both fairly intuitive. OS X is extremely stable and versitile.

I've taught on both Macs & PCs, and by far, for graphics, photography, desktop publishing, and even animation these days, Macs are the computer of choice.

I've not worked on one yet, but from what I've heard, the Intel Macs are going to be even better. I think there are still some issues with running Windows on them, but that will be worked out. The issue being that you have to restart to go from one operating system to the other.

And, I've observed, you get what you pay for.

But this is an orchid forum, isn't it...

Dot,

Perhaps its time that I give Macs another try :) There is no doubt that Macs have long been the standard machines in layout/design, graphics, etc... and to some degree in Audio production as well. I used Macs quite a bit about 12 years ago when I was studying photojournalism in College... iMacs were brand new. After my academic persuits took me elsewhere, I've had little contact with Macs.

In any case, I'll certainly take your advice into consideration once I'm in the market for a new machine :) Thanks!

- Matthew Gore

I absolutely love my mac, mostly because I love the operating system. I have always thought that their design was impeccable and the interface of Tiger (the latest OS) is just beautiful. However, I just use it for every day normal computer stuff, nothing design oriented.

I have heard very good things about the new intel macs also, but I have not yet used one myself.

Can't say enough good things about Apple (I've had to deal with some service issues and they've always had fabulous customer service, which goes far in my book.)

I'd definitley look into them if you haven't, Matt.

Oh, and Dot, maybe you know where I could find that hard drive information? I've looked everywhere!

you guys are insane. Mac drives me bananas. I remember I had to do QA for www.indexstock.com about 4 years ago on their website on different combinations of platforms and OS and I hated testing on MACS! It's so user unfriendly if the user was weened off of IBM compitable machines.

Back