Paph. tigrinum chlorosis, help!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tigrinum is typically a tree dweller not a rock dweller so the soil content in the area probably has very little or nothing to with the species.

Thanks for the information. The only in situ photographs of this that I have seen are of terrestrial clumps. The point I made about volcanic soils is from Birk's book and also wrong. According to the following reference it grows in a limestone region in epiphytic, lithophytic, and terrestrial mode and so quite versatile. http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/46699/0

I have heard (over 10 years ago) from growers of this species that it prefers a slightly more acidic medium than other members of section paphiopedilum, and so this could also be inaccurate.

I have a few (10?) of them and the leaf-color varies from grass-green to almost yellowish for no obvious reason. The substrate is the same, the fertilisation is the same, the position in the greenhouse is the same etc. So there must be something I have missed. Or perhaps, that is how the plant generally appears?
Thank you for the info, looking forward to more on that subject:D
btw. I do not think the plant in question here looks chlorotic, the color is quite normal to much of my collection.

I agree.
I have only seen just a handful of this species, but none of them were dark green like other paphs.
They were all pale green with yellowish cast, although the plant in the original photo in this thread looks like it is having some kind of issues.

I don't think the shade of green is what prompted this thread. What I assumed was the targeted problem was the fact the leaves were light green and there are darker green chlorotic looking stripes. A little hard to see in the photo but if you have ever seen the condition in real life you will recognize it as not quite correct. Looking for a solution and not assuming it is normal for the species is a wise, good growing move..

I do not think the plant in question here looks chlorotic, the color is quite normal to much of my collection

It most certainly is chlorotic Bjorn. This is normal colour for you?? :eek:.... But as I said as the plant grows it disappears after a while. Tigrinum leaves should be mid green. They love bright light.

Had another look at the pictures, and you are right Mike they are paler than mine, especially the new leaf. But not much. I always had somewhat pale plants, it helped with less nitrate, but they never got dark green. Light has perhaps an influence, but in my case it could be connected to some deficiency as well. Iron COULD be one thing as my fertilisation is low on that. Must add that although I do generally not see patterns, I have a full class of tran albums that have this marbeling. But it does not seem to influence growth much, that is the funny thing. Regular trans fertilised with same fertiliser do not show patterns. What is notorious for showing patterns on new leaves are the kovachiis. They grow with yellow spots or patches that gradually disappear during the summer. Its kindof regular, but why??

That certainly is not normal growth.

No, its not. Not very much of it, just some patches, as if the roots were not able to supply some nutrient at the onset of growth, but then afterwards, they did. It was touched in a thread last year or two years ago.

Thanks guys the lots of comment. The original problem was not only the yellowish and pale color on leaves, rather than the white area at the base of the newest leaf, I know it's hard to observe on my photos. I think it is certainly chlorosis. After a week update. The yellowish color turns to green a little bit, but the white area stayed white. Absolutely no clorophyll there. I moved the plant from my windowsill to my growing area, and I'm following the advised fertilizing methode by gonewild.
I will get the water analysis of my provider, and will push down more my PH of irrigation water to 5.5 and will see what happens.
Regards:
Matyas

Hi there, im a pretty new grower here so you might want to not count me, no one seems to have asked about his lights...im wondering mostly how long per day are they on for and second what are the tempratures around the plants? Light levels/exposure would effect the colour of his leaves? Is your problem worse coming out of winter into spring?
Sorry if this sounds stupid...
Matty

Hi there, im a pretty new grower here so you might want to not count me, no one seems to have asked about his lights...im wondering mostly how long per day are they on for and second what are the tempratures around the plants? Light levels/exposure would effect the colour of his leaves? Is your problem worse coming out of winter into spring?
Sorry if this sounds stupid...
Matty

Looking at the other plants which seem to be of a good colour and are in the same area, you would have to conclude that the problem is with this individual plant.

Yes at the same time if his other plants are growing well then his feed could be acceptable? It could still be this particular plant doesnt like something +/- in his growing area. You can get 4'c temp difference in the space of one foot growing under lights, there is a chance it might just want moving or need a bit of a rest from the lights? I know nothing of this type of paph though and its growing requirements, Im suggesting enviro to see what you guys think.

Here are my two current tigs. The one centered and the one to the right started out the same size. Clearly one has taken off growth-wise but both are of a nice green. Not much different then the randsii
tigrinum-randsii_zps4vttxs8q.jpg

Here they're at the top and wilhelminae in the foreground. Again, not much difference in color.
tigrinum%20vs.%20wilhelminae%20color_zpsuszvmdvb.jpg

This shot has the tigrinums in the foreground and two randsii at the top of the pic. The plant hiding in the fern bed to the left is Dot's philie! All pretty much green
tigrinum%20for%20ground_zpscsyva5sg.jpg

Latest posts

Back