Paph. Thunder Bay 'Flash' AM/AOS - ODC, S/CSA

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Reaction score
So rarely does a plant perform as a good breeder for many years after its creation - this is an example of one that stands the test of time. A cross of Blagrose 'A' x Blue Order 'Via Real', Thunder Bay was made in 1960 by Beall Co. in Washington State, and was awarded an AM by the ODC in 1961 and a Silver by the CSA in 1971. Despite lots of searching and a plethora of anecdotal evidence, I can't find when or where it was awared, or who got the award given to it by the AOS. Nonetheless everybody says it has an AM/AOS, and the AOS program can be wrong sometimes, so who knows. It's still used today as a parent pretty commonly, having been eclipsed only recently in red breeding by Provocation and Gridlock - like things. It's been a parent some 70 times, as recently as 2009 (and I've made some crosses with it this year). Terry Root credits this and Johnbourn with contributing saturated red colors to their offspring; a brief review of Thunder Bay progeny certainly supports this. Excellent size helps: 6 cm petal width on a good blooming. This is one of my favorite plants in my collection: not only is it historic, but an important breeding plant as well.

Attachments

• thunderbay_flash.jpg
    thunderbay_flash.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 145
Beautiful flower, thanks for the breeding info. This plant has quite a productive track record, more often as pollen parent than as pod parent. Interesting.

Great history lesson! Awesome bloom!! A great one that has stood the test of time!! Keep up the good growing of these historic beauties and sharing info/pics with us!!

Dot - it is not; Winston Churchill is an older cross than this (registered in 1951), and is Eridge AM/RHS x Hampden. They have a common grandparent in Hestia, registered in 1919 and by the look of the family tree a nice red with a lot of unknown parents. It has an important breeder called Cyclops 'Westonbirt' as a parent, which is on my short list of most wanted.

Dot - it is not; Winston Churchill is an older cross than this (registered in 1951), and is Eridge AM/RHS x Hampden. They have a common grandparent in Hestia, registered in 1919 and by the look of the family tree a nice red with a lot of unknown parents. It has an important breeder called Cyclops 'Westonbirt' as a parent, which is on my short list of most wanted.
Interesting. Thanks for the history lesson -- I didn't realize Winston was that old.

Found this old thread while doing a search for recent progeny using Paph. Thunder Bay 'Flash' AM/AOS. Been flowering out some very dark red spotted slippers on a remake of Thunder Doll (Spotglen 'Doodlebug' HCC/AOS x Thunder Bay 'Flash' AM/AOS. They are outstanding and some have large black spots on the dorsal. The selected clone 'Black and Blue' is incredible!
ddb435_2982d44c328644dfaa259743e520e68b.jpg

Paph. Thunder Doll 'World Class'
ddb435_c6617abbf57d4ae68e97f54645e2db4c.jpg

I'm seeing a 78pt HCC/AOS on March 3, 1982 at the Mid-Atlantic monthly judging. No exhibitor information listed. I bought a plant of this for next to nothing in the late '80s from Santa Barbara Orchid Estate when they were getting out of the Paph. business. What a gem.

Latest posts

Back