Paph that flowers sometimes.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

Reaction score
Paph Chai-ui Lady = bellatulum x lowii.
Chai-UiLady1.jpg

Gorgeous color.
If you say this is a new species, peoples will go crazy over it.

That's a good one! One of the reasons these crosses aren't seen very often is because most of them are awful. While I've never seen lowii x bellatulum before, I used to own Ariel (haynaldianum x bellatulum). I had it about 10 years before it bloomed. Only 1 hangdog bloom.....and I never mounred it when it died after blooming. Take care, Eric

That's a good one! One of the reasons these crosses aren't seen very often is because most of them are awful. While I've never seen lowii x bellatulum before, I used to own Ariel (haynaldianum x bellatulum). I had it about 10 years before it bloomed. Only 1 hangdog bloom.....and I never mounred it when it died after blooming. Take care, Eric

I've only seen two Ariels in flower, in pics, both were very nice. There is a plant ( seedling I think being sold on eBay here, lowii x niveum. I was tempted to buy it only because I think with the niveum, it will be easier to flower.
I didn't, found something better to buy.

Roy,

In the thread on Paph concolor http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6945
Scott Ware alluded to the positives of that species when crossed to a reluctant bloomer like Paph Rolfei:

I think this is a great reason why we like to use Paph. concolor as a parent - it makes beautiful hybrids and most of its progeny bloom as easily as Paph. concolor itself. Example: Take a recalcitrant old biddy like Paph. Rolfei (mine blooms at LEAST once every 20 years whether I want it to or not) and cross it with Paph. concolor to get Paph. Frank Hughes - and equally beautiful roth/brachy hybrid that blooms its heart out as quickly as it can put on new growths.

Do you think that might be a reasonable idea here. The flower certainly has some positive attributes. Seems a shame to terminate this line of breeding here.

charlie c

Charlie C, I think P. concolor & niveum are probably the two best Brachys to use in breedling with anything outside the Brachy family. Concolor has been shown to be one of the Brachys as a parent to produce the least deformities when crossed outside the B family. Niveum has a reasonably good record as well but from memory on of the least used ( could be wrong there) I think bellatulum, godefroyae, leucochilum and delenatii are the "IN" parents and it will take some doing to convince hybridists to change. For what its worth, P delenatii is probably the best parent to use for White and least deformities of them all. The problem is that it doesn't provide the shape into its progeny like bell', godef', leuco' or concolor to an extent. P. Magic Lantern is an exception but most of the shape is from the micranthum alone.

Latest posts

Back