Paph thaianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW - I smelled 15 thaianums (from different sources) at 8:15am this morning and only 2 of the 15 were fragrant. Will try again in a couple of hours to see if anything changed. :)
It would be interesting to see 8 am/12/5/9 pm fragrances to see if it’s pollinator specific.

Neofinetias are strongest at dawn and sunset. Their white flowers attract the nocturnal moths with long probosis to reach the nectar at the end of their spurs.

SK & HP & Dr.Ee - everybody's nose is different but to my nose the most fragrant one smelled like what I call 'green apple', kind of like Neofinetia falcata.

I've been around tons of roses but don't really know what 'rose' smells like, or what people are referring to when they say 'rose'. :)

Yes. See above. :)

Over the years I've decided that smells are like colors: tell 10 people to describe the same smell/color and you will get at least 4-5 different answers.

I think hangianum and it's hybrids smell like my grandmother's cold cream. Everyone I know has their own answer to that one.

I think malipoense smells like raspberries, more specifically 'antique raspberry' or 'raspberry potpourri' to me. Most people agree with raspberry.

YMMV

Last edited:
The first 4 that flowered from my flask where all fragrant in the morning. They were all lemony and minty. Kind of combo.
Unlike my delenatii alba in bloom now, this has barely any scent.

We've had 'cool' mornings lately - I will survey again mid-morning when it gets 75-80 degrees.

And again, everyone's sense of smell is different and there are some orchids I can't smell at all (especially a certain Lycaste that everyone else can smell).

Latest posts

Back