Paph thaianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Eric Muehlbauer

Guido (and others), what is your take on P. thaianum? I just heard about it today...I can't access the description (I think its in the Orchid Review) but from the pictures I have seen it seems basically like a very small niveum...not seeing the description, I don't know what taxonomic features are supposed to distinguish it. Take care, and have a great holiday! Eric

DEar Eric,
this species is really distinct enough to be an own species.
I could mail you the description when you want

Best greetings

Olaf

Thanks! That would be great! Do you still have my email address? Better yet, can you send it to the group, as I'm sure everyone else is interested. Take care, Eric

In some ways, it seems to have more characterisics of a Parvi than a Brachy. It also appears to be the only Brachy species so far with a thin, inflated pouch.

Dear Lien,
thanks that you have published the description. When I mailed the last time it was later then 3 o'clock in the morning and time to go sleep. So I could not show the description so immediately like Chien

Best greetings

Olaf

I agree - I does violates copyrights - at least the Orchid review's copyright - And Lienluu should have asked the author -

This is BAD MANNERS !!!

I agree also,
it is the best to delete this part. All interested persons had the possibility now to get the information.
We must be more careful in the future with the copyright.

Best greetings

Olaf

I have a question...

Why does the author of a scientific paper object to it being copied for public use?

I can understand why the journal it was published in would want to protect it's sales value but it seems like the author would want the description to receive as mush exposure as possible.

Does this mean the description of a new species is only available to persons who subscribe to a commercial publication?

I'm not criticizing the author, but rather asking if this is standard procedure.

gonewild said:
I have a question...

Why does the author of a scientific paper object to it being copied for public use?

I can understand why the journal it was published in would want to protect it's sales value but it seems like the author would want the description to receive as mush exposure as possible.

Does this mean the description of a new species is only available to persons who subscribe to a commercial publication?

I'm not criticizing the author, but rather asking if this is standard procedure.

Yeah, what Lance said.

Heather said:
Well, I asked Brian the same thing earlier. I mean, Olaf had mentioned he could mail the description out. How, since the article was credited and cited, is posting it online really different from disseminating it another way?

Yes, how is it?
How is it different from posting a page from a magazine on a physical bulletin board in a lobby?

Well, the reason i posted this note is because I couldn't get any info from the Orchid review. The article was listed, but not highlighted...most articles could be read, but not the one describing thaianum.....the journal's decision or the author's decision? Take care, Eric

Dear all,
it is always the decision of he publisher if an article shall be shown in the net or another journal. You must understand also that the journals don't like this way because they want sell also their product and it is very expensive to produce a good orchidjournal.
When I would send privately one copy of an article to a friend there is no problem or when I would publish a comprehension of my own article.
Please respect the decision of the publisher and the writer.

Best greetings and merry christmas

Olaf

Does anyone have photos of this new species?

I have a micro Paph. niveum that I've grown since I was a kid. I bought it in the early 80's. It blooms on mature growths with only a 2 to 3 inch leafspan. The flowers are tiny, very cupped and quite fragrant (similar to the smell of Cattleya jenmanii, or, some say Juicyfruit gum). I was told about 20 years ago that it might be a new species; but, I never did anything about looking into that any further. It got big enough at one point to fill a 6 inch pot with dozens of growths. Unfortunately, I became ill in the 90's and nearly killed the plant. I have recovered from my illness and managed to save a small piece of this plant. It currently has two growths, each with a 1 inch leafspan. It is currently in active growth. I expect it to bloom sometime next year. I'd love to learn more about this *new* species "thaianum" and especially, I'd like to see a photo. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Dear John,
when you mail me your mailadress then I will mail you a picture which I get from China, where this species is cultivated also

Best greetings

Olaf

Ok ... here some answers

1) P. thaianum is (as Olaf says) different enough to be accepted as a good species. (that is judging from the publication, I have not seen any plants).
2) The publication was done in a public journal - The Orchid Review. The copyright to the format is with The Orchid Review. The text is public knowledge. The only people that could object is the RHS (who own the copyright to the OR) for scanning and putting the article on this site. But they won't.
3) If Dr. Iamwiryakul wants to go to court, wish him good luck. Anyone has the right to make a fool of himself.

regards
Guido J. Braem

Heather said:
I have received a request from Dr. Iamwiriyakul to delete his description charging that it violates copyright law.

Any comments, advice, or opinions would be most appreciated...
:confused:

Sorry, but that is not quite correct. We are paying fees for reproduction with every equipment we buy (Photocopyers, scanners, computer software, and computer hardware [some may not notice, but we are paying]). And this is not a commercial site. You can only ask for damages if there have been damages. Has the author been "damaged" because his article was put on the internet? NO. Surely not. To the contrary. His work is made known. His vanity claim is completely counter productive. If the author would not want anyone to know that he published the species, why did he publish it?

The only copyright that was infringed here is the copyright of the Orchid Review. And that copyright is only enforcable in respect to the format of the articel, not the content. Of course one could argue that RHS wants to sell Orchid Review and that is certainly correct. However, they would have to proof that someone would have subscribed OR if the article would not have been put on the internet. Even if they could, the cost would be enormous and their reputation would be mindered. And if they did, all what is to do is to sacn the article in a WORD format [I just go a magnificent software that does just that] and put it the text on the internet in Word Format.

The situation is different with "larger" parts of books. And there again, it is a matter of opinion and a matter of how one does it. And again, a matter of whether damage is done.

For articles, it is completely sufficient if one gives proper credit in those cases, and in a scan that is done, as it shows the author and it shows the name of the journal. But Beware: only for non-commercial purposes!!

As far as "bad manners" is concerned, people screaming "bad manners" should check whether they are not sitting in a glass building before throwing stones.

Guido J. Braem

ORG said:
I agree also,
it is the best to delete this part. All interested persons had the possibility now to get the information.
We must be more careful in the future with the copyright.

Best greetings

Olaf

Oh Yes ?
Ok so what's good in subscribing to orchid magazines if you can just download the articles a few month later on the internet?

How foolish can you be ?

Braem said:
As far as "bad manners" is concerned, people screaming "bad manners" should check whether they are not sitting in a glass building before throwing stones.

Guido J. Braem

Back