Paph thaianum?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be posting a thaianum flask next week. I will post how it goes. Talking to CITES, they say there is no reason I cant send this species in flask. USDA seemed to think it was ok too.

Also, I just got another thaianum to bloom from the mixed up batch of plants I bought as thaianum. I will post the pick tonight.

Brett

Hi

Here is another Thaianum from the same batch of plants. Also pictured is a godefroyeii? from the same batch. If I am wrong on the ID, please correct me. I am no paph expert. Just learning here.

The other pic is the media they grow in. Mostly broken brick, volcanic pebbles, gravel, and very free draining. I water once a week, but also have them in very high humidity, misted several times daily.

I am told they come from a place that also has Corybas, Spathoglottis hardingiana and Paph godefroyeii "dwarf" growing in the same place.

Err.. sorry for th banged up bloom on the godeyfroyeii.. I droped it when taking the photo:eek:

Brett
IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

Oh yeah,, This is the first one to bloom in the batch. So far 3 thaianum, this plant, and the godefroyeii?
Notthaianum-1.jpg

Thanx for the foto of the inorganic media. 1 thainum and 2 not, I'd go back to the vendor for replacements!

Hi Eric

Really you can not tell the plants apart. The only way I can is that thaianum has a rougher (bumpy) feel to the leaves. This is not precise though. All these plants were the same size and same leaf type.

No, it was 3 thaianum, and two not.

To be honest, I am ok. I bought other plants from other sellers and fared worse over the years. This is not the USA, Australia, etc. You really have to take this some poor buys now and then when buying in developing countries for varying reasons. I recently got an order from Sth America. The first I got from the nursery was impeccable. The second, I have to say left much to be desired in time.

I am just happy I got some true wild form thaianums with the plants I got here in Thailand with CITES while I have been here in Thailand. I got them to my home country ok and CITES was OK with them, so I am happy.

The odd thing is this plant has been cultivated for a while in Thailand. However, many growers regarded it as a stunted niveum. Yet it was only declared a species in 2006

I cant wait to see what my select form flasks from Taiwan and primary hybrids (from Hung Sheng) with this species come out like. Actually getting select forms in flask from Taiwan is easier than getting a flask in Thailand.

Brett

I like both godefroyae very much! They are great, especially the first one!

you mention that these grow where there are some corybas... do you know if the species or very similar ones called corybas pictus are available? I've seen pictures of them and they aren't australian so les nesbitt didn't have any

Hi Charles

I think the species here is Corybas ecarinatus. These plants are not common and very slow to germinate. I have a friend, a professor at Mahindol university who with his students has germinated them and is growing them successfully in the lab. I will post information in a thread under the photos of other species. Check that there for more information.

Brett

When you get select flask available let me know. This time I will take you up on it. Thanx.

Hi Eric

I plan to go to Taiwan to shop for flasks in June/July. I will visit Formosa and Hung Sheng orchids when I do. I will let you know more before then. I am sure I can help you out.

As for the Corybas thread, I will start it tomorrow now. There was an earthquake in Myanmar and my 26th floor apartment was shaking for a minute even though it was hundreds of miles away. So I am a bit delayed getting it done.. :eek:

Brett

I heard about the Myanmar earthquake, they said it was felt in Bangkok! Hope everything is OK, Man, I'm so glad I live on the Atlantic ring of no-fire!

Yeah, we are fine here.. Just a little shook up. Highrises seem to feel it more when your are up high.

Bangkok was only a minor earthquake zone, but the tsunami in 2004 shifted the fault lines, and now its a medium risk zone.

I heard there were a few casualties in Chiang Rai in the north though. Anway, alls ok here.

Brett

Some good news. My Paphs have faired ok.. I lost some thaianum plants, but most are surviving the methyl bromide treatement. Sadly, I lost all my paph sanderianums. Two plants of malipoense made it ok, as did some hybrids.

I have thaianum flasks now anyway ex-Taiwan. I will send some to the USA soon, with CITES and Phyto, so I hope they get there ok.

Brett

Methyl bromide is can be particularly toxic to Paphs. AQIS acknowledges this in their own specifications and exempt some species of orchids including Paphs from Methyl bromide treatment.

Condition C8637
Orchidaceae Nursery Stock - Other than Tissue Cultures - Susceptible to Methyl Bromide
The following genera are currently exempted from mandatory fumigation with methyl bromide: Cymbidium all species, Paphiopedilum all species. Phalaenopsis all species, Renanthera all species, Vanda all species
All other genera and species are to be fumigated with methyl bromide as per condition C7302.”
Regards, Mick

The problem is, AQIS exempt them from methyl bromide, but the dip mix that they give as an alternative can be just as lethal. Well, I only lost 5 plants out of 20 I think. Thats not too bad.

Brett

The problem is, AQIS exempt them from methyl bromide, but the dip mix that they give as an alternative can be just as lethal. Well, I only lost 5 plants out of 20 I think. Thats not too bad.

Brett

The alternative dip is Carbaryl 0.1% active ingredient. Maldison 0.1% active ingredient, White oil 1.0% or Eco-oil®1.0%. The plants are dipped for 30 seconds. I know which treatment I’d prefer.
Regards, Mick

Hi Mick

Thats not the info I got. Maybe my friends had it wrong. Anway, its all done now. They are in my friends Q-house and are putting out new roots, so those that made it are ok.

Brett

Latest posts

Back