Paph thaianum?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s1214215

Reaction score
Hi again.

Well, another of the paphs from a batch of 20 I got listed as Paph thaianum has bloomed. Here it is. It looks right, the size is right (about 10cm tall and blooms about 2cm wide). This one is of very good form.

The only thing is I dont recall seeing thaianum with a spotted back to the petals and sepals. The front looks right thought.

Any thoughts?

Brett
IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0412-1.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

This plant came in the same lot and labelled as thaianum hahah.. well we can see that it is not.

Brett
Notthaianum-1.jpg

Hi Eric

If you did not have such difficult laws on the import of Paphs in the USA, I would send. I have just exported my collection to Australia and this plant I left out as I thought it was not thainum as the leaves are smooth and the bud was spotty on the outside. I did not think thaianum had spotty buds.

So now I have to think what to do with this pretty plant, and curses the blooms a nice form.

Brett

it (first plant!) indeed looks very much like thainum... Does it has a spotted inner side of the pouch? All thaianum I know have spots in the inside of the pouch... On the other side, I do not recall any thaianum with such a long and straight spike! Not that I have seen that many thaianum, but at last they were pretty consistent on this... well, my two cents :)

A very beautiful paph and this one is just as beautiful from the back as from the front. Thanks for the pics.

I sent this to a Thai friend and he says it is thaianum.

I have seen thaianum with spikes this long before, but this is the longest I have seen.

However, I have never seen spotting like this on the back of the bloom. YEs, there is some faint spotting inside the bloom.

My only thought is that it maybe that it has some nivieum somewhere in its parentage. Thaianum has been in cultivation for a long time in Thailand, but as several of my Thai friends will tell you, they thought it just a stunted, but cute form of niveum.

Thus it has been bred with and flasked in the past (as niveum). So it may be that it is largely thaianum blood, but with a splash of nivieum in there somewhere. I speculate here.

Whatever the case, its a pretty thing. I wish I had sent to back to Oz with my other plants. Now I have to find it and 4 other siblings a home before I leave here. I think it wont be a hard task hahah..

I have thought to self this plant as the shape is good, but how long will the pods take to mature?

Brett

There are flasks of it here for sale. Or is it impossible to send flasks of it too? Can I send seed? I am sure I can get a pod going and get some sent over.

Brett

It's awfully cute. I, too, wondered if there was some niveum in it, but I've never seen a niveum with such a tall spike, either.

I see no reason for why thaianum should not be legal in the US. There are no problems getting other paphs from Thailand, which propagates plants and is a signatory of CITES. thaianum has been around long enough for the Thai's to be able to export propagated plants.

Hi Eric

I was told that the problem is that the USA has some additional laws to CITES and that you have to have a special permission to import species paph plants. A friend from the USA said this had been a problem with species like hangianum into the USA in the past.

I have emailed a friend of mine about thaianum flask by the way. Anyone interested can PM me.

Basically, in the US, if the exporting country is able and willing to document that the parent plants were legally collected (within its boundaries) and propagated, then its OK...provided there is documentation. It was not long after its discovery before Peru was legally exporting flasks of kovachii. Thailand is a major orchid exporter, and doesn't seem to have any problem providing documentation for all the other orchids it exports.

Hi Eric

THanks.

check the thaianum on this site http://www.thaipaphioclub.com/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=10&lang=en

I tend to be skeptical sometimes of some "species"plants here as crossing to an A-line plant of a similar species and then back crossing a number of times to get better shape in the bloom, but looking like the original species, is a bad practice here. Vanda coerulea is a good example of this. Some plants and blooms are so far removed from the original species, it is hard to believe they are that species.

Wel anyway, I will post more pics as my plants bloom matures a little, this is just the second day.

And yes there is spotting inside the pouch.

Brett

hi guys,

Paph. thaianum is legally available for export as plants and as flasks
to any country in the world that is cosignatory to CITES
cliokchi:)

Basically, in the US, if the exporting country is able a nd willing to document that the parent plants were legally collected (within its boundaries) and propagated, then its OK...provided there is documentation. It was not long after its discovery before Peru was legally exporting flasks of kovachii. Thailand is a major orchid exporter, and doesn't seem to have any problem providing documentation for all the other orchids it exports.

Latest posts

Back