Paph thaianum, back from the dead!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was in an organic mix, Orchiata in a plastic pot. Now, like all my brachys, clay pots, clay balls with a little organic. In this case sphagnum, in all others ProMix. Google ProMix if you're not sure what it is.

Good you saved this cutie, Rick.
I've been using inorganic potting medium with clay balls and other 'ingredientes' for all of my Paphs for many years now. But I had bad results only with clay balls. Maybe your mixture with little organic parts/sphagnum made the difference.

Interesting Rudolf, was just having a conversation with Bob of Albany NY about clay pots/ balls culture. One observation i forgot to mention to Bob was a net search a numbers of years ago on brachys when I ran across a Tai culture site. A number of photos showing clay pots half full of clay balls and the upper half what looked to be 50/50 mix of clay balls and local dirt. Beautiful plants by the way. That's how I came up with the ProMix additives for the clay balls.

Here is what I wrote to Bob of Albany NY....

No not everyday. The beauty of it for me, i can water everything when its time to water. So basically I have 3 pot conditions, semi hydro for 90% of the Phrags, orchiata mix for most Paphs and other genera, clay pots/ balls for Brachys/some Parvi hybrids. The Cattileyas are in clay or wood baskets with orchiata mix. The bottom line, everything dries at a different rate so I can water everything at the same time.

In general about every 4th day in the winter months moving to evey other day or 3rd in the summer. All dependent on the outside weather.

I killed so many Brachys due to basal rot trying to grow in plastic pot with organic mixes. A couple of references lead me it this direction. An old AOS magazine from the 60s had an article on growing Brachys. The guy would wait until his leaves would wrinkle on the top surface when he lifted one up from the tip before he would water them. That's dry! He was using plastic and organic. One of our own ST members a couple of years ago posted his bellatulum, multiple growths, beautiful flowers and growing it under lights in a plastic pot with nothing but hydro stones. It had a massive root system. There is algae growing on the outside of the clay pots so they do get water.

And here is the pic I posted to Bob
16173963728274693037126270479689.jpg

This is interesting! Im one of those people that has some luck growing brachys in plastic pots with fir bark. I even have some in straight sphagnum moss. It must be my dry condo environment.

pS: I have zero luck with orchiata. Be it with Phals, catts or paphs.

Last edited:
Hmmm I grow all my brachys in bark/perlite/charcoal/clay pellet mixture in plastic pots, high in the shelves with hot temperatures and bright T5 light all year, watering twice a week. They’re growing with the exuls so I have no idea why that works. There is a constant fan on them though. And they suffer from leaf spots if I spray water on them. Mochi (the leucochilum) and the black leucochilums are there.

Comment: my experiece that thaianum hates organic mix, it can live well in inorganic mix only.Mine in double stem, it blooms every year.

Attachments

• 20210423_070148.jpg
    20210423_070148.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 9
Comment: my experiece that thaianum hates organic mix, it can live well in inorganic mix only.Mine in double stem, it blooms every year.
You mentioned your mix above, post #13. This is in inorganic as well with the exception of a few strands of sphagnum

Is it necessary to repot a plant that has been reported in an inorganic media on a yearly basis like those in a bark based media?

Back