Paph. Temptation

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h_mossy

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was the 2nd blooming back in June. I hadn't decided where to host photos after getting away from photobucket. The bloom from the previous year also had 7 buds, but the topmost was kinda small, and eventually blasted. This time it stayed put. I was pleased with the arrangement of the blooms. I don't know if that is repeatable or not.

https://flic.kr/p/2ic9814

Thanks much for the comments.

Ozpaph - I'll see if I can find a closeup. This photo is with a batch from around Jun to Nov when I was trying to decide where to host them after I left photobucket. They are jumbled to gether, but I think I can find a close up.

Well, this same plant was putting up a nice thick inflorescence in May with 4 buds opening and a few more still packed in the tip. I was thinking this was going to be pretty good this time around. I had the pot up on a wall to keep it out of the way as I was moving some things around. Then a gust of wind knocked it off and broke the spike. AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!! I figured that that was it for this year, and I'd just have to wait until next season. Well, one of the young keiki's on the side had a different plan. I saw something dark poking up in the center, and waited. Eventually, it was clear that it was going to bloom again from the young growth this time. At the present, it has 7 blooms, and a tiny 8th one that I'm pretty sure will blast. Once the top one is a little more open, I'll see if I can get some good photos. The colors are not as intense as I like, but I'm still new to slipper orchids so maybe it'll 'grow' on me more. I never expected this many buds on a 2nd growth after all the energy it must have put into the 1st one.

I appreciate the comments, but the photo above was about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I'll take some present-day photos of it soon after the 7th bud has some time to get a little larger. I'm hoping my photog efforts are somewhat improved at this point. The shape will be similar, but one of the blooms is not pointing in the ideal direction, but still I don't think it will look too bad. You'll see what I mean.

I will welcome any suggestions on how to improve the plant or the photos. I like more natural light photos if I am able to take them, and since that photo above, I've learned more about the aperture settings (f stop), for light / depth of field, and how to use the ISO if too dark, or even better, to use the 'exposure compensation' slider, with the live view display to see how the subject should look prior to taking the photo. This compensates for over / under exposure cause by a too dark / light background. I'm even getting better at more correct color renderings of vivid magenta-purple blooms like some of the C. luddemanniana have, by using the white-balance to adjust the color in the photo. (old dogs can learn new tricks if properly motivated)

Took these yesterday. Gotta get a remote trigger for the camera. These were without a flash, and some were slightly blurry. The color is light because the philippinense half was an alba (Paph. philippinense var alboflavum 'Sterling' x Paph. kolopakingii v Topperi '10 Mile'). The 8th bud blasted. Maybe next year it will stay on.
Paph_Temptation_78_crop6.jpg
Paph_Temptation_crop6.jpg
Paph_Temptation2_crop6.jpg

Last edited:
Well, my post #8 referred to the flowers of 2020.....but could also referre to these flowers of 2021. Very impressive, you flowered it again within 11/2 years. 👌

Thanks much.

If that first spike had not been broken, I wonder how it would have turned out. Because of the time span, I'm not sure if it would still have any blooms on the earlier spike. I'm going to see now if I can get any decent close-ups with the macro lens.

Anyone know what is the difference between an 'alba' and an 'alboflavum'? I've seen it a few places and don't have any idea what one means in comparison to the other one, or if they just mean the same thing.

Last edited:
A very fine plant. It is definitely a tempting 'Temptation!' I hope that my small one from Hilmar grows up to be just as tempting one day. ☺

Latest posts

Back