Paph Susan Booth

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
While taking pictures for the Mega thread growing area , I snapped a pic of Paph Susan Booth looking regal. Growing in semi hydro, has another blooming size growth not spiked as of yet. This spike has 3 flowers. First blooming.
growing_areas-16.jpg

Sorry Gilda, but I'm too distracted by the background to focus on the plant. Sigh.

Beautiful!!

Hmmm, why am I afraid to put my slippers in s/h??
I don't know Mark, are you a 'scaredy cat?

I'm scared of putting any in S/H too...but the first and only one I tried was in the new primeagra and it thrived at first then suffered a horrible death...I love S/H w/ hydroton for my 'other' orchids (Phals & Catt-types I've tried so far), so is it time to try a Paph in S/H w/ hydroton instead of the ickiness that primeagra seems to be?
And Lovely picture too! Didn't mean to get offtopic! :) Background and plant look lovely!

Psst. Order your leca from www.cropking.com The shipping is a killer, but I prefer this leca over hydroton for paphs. I agree with you that catts etc. do great in hydroton, but I've had less than stellar results with it for paphs. If you do try one in hydroton, make sure it's easily replaceable.

:poke:isn't shipping always a killer on a box of rocks? :rollhappy: Thanks for the hint! I'm assuming the recommended site has something that tends to be somewhere between the hydrotons drying a little too fast on top, and the gross, watersaturated/salty mess I had w/ the other stuff?

I have come to the conclusion that s/h is good for plants w/ thick roots like phals but def. doesn't work if you can't continually sprinkle water thru the media.
Gilda, do you grow that outside!?

I have come to the conclusion that s/h is good for plants w/ thick roots like phals but def. doesn't work if you can't continually sprinkle water thru the media.
Gilda, do you grow that outside!?

LOL:rollhappy: Eric, No growing outside ,that is sitting in front of the window in my sunroom. Go look at the Mega Thread growing area .
I have had mixed results with paphs and semi hydro..seems they either love it or hate it. This one is in Hydroton, and I have a few of them in PA too. Mixed results for both mediums.
Candace why do you prefer PA or Leca over hydroton for your paphs ? Is it the wicking ?

Candace why do you prefer PA or Leca over hydroton for your paphs ? Is it the wicking ?

I prefer the OLD Prime Agra or Crop King leca over hydroton for paphs because the top layer of hydroton just stays too dry-lack of wicking or evaporation. Catts and other orchids don't seem to mind the top layer drying out, but paphs seem to resent it.

Back