Paph Susan Booth 'Paracombe' FCC/AOC

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
I have had a good growing season this year and today it got better with my first FCC award for my Susan Booth 'Paracombe'. I have posted this plant on this forum numerous times over the last 15 or so years. Until this year, I had never been able to get more than 3 flowers on a spike. This season it had 3 spikes with 4 flowers on every stem and big flowers they were too. It has taken me nearly 20 years, but I am finally growing these things well. This is the first multi-floral Paph I got (in 2001 or 2002) and it is only now that I have grown it well enough for it to reach its potential. I have been able to get the growths much bigger in size since I have been growing it in a basket. The leaves are much longer and wider.

I am a bit stunned by the FCC. I was confident it would get a HCC, maybe even an AM if the judges were generous. But I guess you never expect an FCC. Especially as this clone has been around a long time.

Paph%20Susan%20Booth%20paracombe.jpg

SB%20Paracombe%202018%20fcc.jpg

Ok, this is a good one, you got lucky, where did you get it?

I got it off Deane Johnstone (Johnstone Orchids) as a three growth division around 2001. He flowered out a whole flask of Susan Booth's. I don't know what the cross was. I will try and find out. He kept a few of the very best clones. One got an AM award ('Highercombe' which I have) and another a HCC award. 'Paracombe' was never awarded until now. It is a very old cross as 'Highercombe was awarded in 1989.

That is an incredible flowering for a SB. Certainly the best SB Ive 'seen'.
I'd accept their generosity with open arms. How many points?

I'm not sure. I will have to sign the paper work in the next few days so I will find out then. I didn't take the plant into judging. A fellow friend and judge took it in for me. So I got a nice surprise when she brought my plants back.

I just flowered 'Highercombe', nowhere near as good as 'Paracombe'. Ill post it later.

If you ask Deane, he will tell you 'Highercombe' is the better clone. 'Highercombe' does have a darker colour and it does get five flowers on a spike. 'Paracombe' has never gotten more than four. But the flowers on 'Paracombe' are bigger and better shape with a nicer petal stance. Here is a photo of the two clones together with 'Paracombe' on the right. I don't think 'Highercombe' is at its full potential here but the measurements when it received an AM are quite a bit smaller than the current flowers on my 'Paracombe'.

SB%20comparison.jpg

How many points?

I signed the paperwork yesterday but it didn't have the points score on it. I'm never at these judges meetings so I don't see or talk to the judges involved. The paperwork I sign never has this detail on it. It has the measurements but not the final judge's score. We will find out when the award goes up on the AOC website which could be a year away.

That is stunning. I’m sure it’s very gratifying to have your patience rewarded.

It’s sounds like you attribute the plants increased performance to moving it into a basket, is that correct? Anything else? Basket culture really seems to be getting people excellent results.

Too bad I just purchased a ton of aircones and moved everything into them!

That is stunning. I’m sure it’s very gratifying to have your patience rewarded.

It’s sounds like you attribute the plants increased performance to moving it into a basket, is that correct? Anything else? Basket culture really seems to be getting people excellent results.

Too bad I just purchased a ton of aircones and moved everything into them!

The leaves certainly have increased in size since I have put it in a basket. As it is in a basket I am keeping the plant wetter. I guess that is the key. More water.

I assume the aircone post are based on the same philosophy, so they should work equally as well.

Wonderful paph.!!!
How does the basket affect your watering? Have you already experience in repotting paphs in baskets? I could imagine that is quite difficult.

Michael

Back