Paph. superbiens var. curtisii fma. sanderae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_5198.JPGIMG_5199.JPG
A few years ago I ordered P. superbiens or the var. curtisii, I don't remember which. I got this green flowered plant. After it flowered and a quick search I decided to call it Paph. superbiens var. curtisii fma. sanderae. This is the second and a better flower. The problem is it doesn't fit the discriptions of curtisii that I have read, the lateral petals being shorter than the lip and that. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a recognized albino superbiens. I did find a site where an albino flower was called P. superbiens fma. sanderae, but I don't know if that's correct or not. Anyway thanks in advance.
Don.

I got it from Forestview Orchids in British Columbia, Canada. It was a mistake kind of. They are no longer in the Orchid business and I don't know where they got their plants from. I got it in 2017.

At any rate this flower looks quite close to Paph superbiens var. sanderae as you can see by the excerpt of the book of Olaf Gruss 'Genus Paphipopedilum Albino Forms' which I attach. The length of the petals, as you already mentioned, seems to be the problem. If it really is the albino form of Paph superbiens you made a great haul.....if it's not you own a really pretty green flower.

Paph. superbiens var. sanderae_O.Gruss.jpg

Last edited:
Don, serendipitous indeed.

IMHO this is the superbiens album. But let’s wait to see what Olaf says when he comes on.

If it is, you should self it or save pollen. I have a few here almost ready to bloom.

Don, serendipitous indeed.

IMHO this is the superbiens album. But let’s wait to see what Olaf says when he comes on.

If it is, you should self it or save pollen. I have a few here almost ready to bloom.
Unfortuneately it is too late for that, but I will bare that in mind the next time. Hopefully there will be a next time. It's something that I have been wondering about for a while, so I thought what better place to possibley get an answer.

To me, this is curtisii fma. sanderae. Spotting on the petals are the only consistent characteristic separating the two species. Evenly space, numerous tiny dots is curtisii and from the screen shot of a beautiful example of the recently rediscovered superbiens the spotting is different. Larger, not necessarily evenly spaced spots not dots no matter the color form or presentation of the flower parts
Screenshot_20210924-045241_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
To me, this is curtisii fma. sanderae. Spotting on the petals are the only consistent characteristic separating the two species. Evenly space, numerous tiny dots is curtisii and from the screen shot of a beautiful example of the recently rediscovered superbiens the spotting is different. Larger, not necessarily evenly spaced spots not dots no matter the color form or presentation of the flower parts
View attachment 29746
Thanks
Don

Back